Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Is this a cataract?

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Does this appear to be the start of a cataract? She’s a 5.5 year old female guinea pig. There is no damage to the eye, it’s definitely not on the cornea, but the lens. No discharge, nothing like that. It’s just a small white dot and a small bit of haze around it. From my research it fits the description of a posterior polar cataract.

Attachments

24F4F4CB-5850-4D1B-B102-5969E52FCE7D.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Could be. But also see https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html and see if there's more info there for you. Guinea pigs have a couple of eye conditions that start with a small white dot.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Could be. But also see https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html and see if there's more info there for you. Guinea pigs have a couple of eye conditions that start with a small white dot.

Thanks, I already gave that page a look before and nothing on there seems to match. I’ve spoken to two exotic vets, both mention vitreal opacities, which is basically like scar tissue.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.