Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Where are the doors?

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone! So I recently bought a a new cage from here for Cupcake! It's a medium 2×3.5(?) cage for two piggies with a loft and a ramp! I know that this is a dumb question but I was wondering... Where do I put the door? I don't see anything about one in the manual. In fact, I don't see any pieces that could be used as one.. just pieces for the walls, flooring, a ramp, and a loft. 20210708_151631.jpg
(They also included a small piece but I think that's a portal guard.)

Here's what I have so far.
20210708_150552.jpg

Sorry about the mess, lol. Am I doing this right? If you need a better quality picture, just ask. I'll try to take one.

Also, another question. How the heck do I do I put together the loft and roof? (Or for that matter, everything else, lol.)

Thanks for reading and please help! I'd prefer it if you'd answer this soo. I've been putting this together for over 2 hours now...

(..Okay, actually one more question. What bedding should I use? I know that fleece is apparently the best because you can just wash it and it's soft but I don't think I have another 100$ laying around...)

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I haven't bought a cage from this site but I do have 2 c&c cages. It probably doesn't have a door at all, because what they sell has an open-top design where you don't need a door in order to reach in and do whatever. I know they do sell doors on the site. I have made lids for my cages out of the shelf connectors and zip ties.

You may as well save up to buy fleece, because putting paper bedding or other disposable bedding in that and changing it all out is going to get expensive and annoying, and will cost more over time. I have fleece in my 2x5 and 2x4, and would never dare try to spend all my money on disposable bedding.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Have you tried to reach out to Guineapigcages.com for assistance? You can contact them via email at [email protected] and they try to respond within one business day. Teresa, being the creator of the C&C cage, would be the person most familiar with the products.

In looking at the Guineapigcages.com site and your photo above, I noticed:

*Your cage so-far looks to be a 2x3, not a 2x3.5. For the .5 portion, you would need to overlap a 4th grid in the middle using cable ties.
*The standard cage does not come with a door. The Doors section on the site shows that french doors are an addition and must go underneath a wide loft. For a 2x3.5 cage, I only see a narrow loft.
*You would use grids and connectors to create a loft floor.

As to the bedding, I started out using CareFresh but it is expensive and in less than a month, the cost would be equivalent to buying a liner. After about a year, I switched to using a GuineaDad liner. Many members make their own, which is more work but less costly. There are many videos on YouTube, as well as discussion threads on this forum on making liners and you do not need to know how to sew. If you do use fleece, keep in mind that you should have at least 2 sets, one to use while one is being washed and dried. It will also be handy to have wee pads to put in areas where your piggy tends to pee the most. The wee pads can be changed out easily and helps prolong liner cleanliness. You can make your own also to keep costs down. The start up cost to creating a cage can get expensive.

Good luck with finishing your cage.

Edited by bpatters to remove phone number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
That small grid in the picture I believe is to block of some of the opening when they get to the top of the ramp. It adds a nice little safety precaution that can also be adjusted for the height opening you need for your pigs. Just zip tie it to the loft grid that has an opening for the ramp at the height where you want it. You want it high enough that your pig doesn't hit her back on it when she reaches the top.

As for the loft. See where you have the connectors flat around the top edge, well you need to turn the connectors sideways on the side you want to place the loft so that the loft sides can snap into them.

Then build the loft floor and connect the loft floor to the bottom portion already built. Then snap on the sides of the loft.

Be sure to use lots of zip ties! If you need more they are super cheap on amazon. Use a zip tie at each connection. I also zip tie at center between two grids too especially for a floor of a loft to make it nice and sturdy. If it sags at all...you need to make sure the connectors are tight and use more zip ties. It should not sag at all.

Great start! Your pig is going to LOVE her new cage!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
As far as fleece goes, you don't need to buy a liner. You can buy fleece by the yard on sale, and layer it over an absorbent layer like washable bed pads. It doesn't have to be sewn together and will actually wash and dry faster if the layers are separate. The fleece I like the best is at Joann Fabrics, and it's the plush anti-pill. It washes well and doesn't pill. One yard is about 55" x 36" so it's a pretty good size.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's not really large enough for two adult pigs. You really need at least a 2x4, and even larger is better.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
@bpatters, on my initial post I included Teresa's phone number as it is shown on the store's Phone section of the Contact Us page . It is not private information.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, but these forums are public and there are bots that harvest numbers from plain text posts. It's a little harder to do on a contact page.

Also, I'm pretty sure Teresa would prefer to be contacted by email.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.