Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding When and how to start my bonding

Thanatos

Cavy Gazer
So I just bought a pair of twin 4 week old females on the 2nd. I put them in their enclosure and have basically left them be. I talk to them check on them(mostly by rousting them from hiding). But I have not really made much effort at holding yet so they could just chill. They were in the "petting" cage at the store so I figure lots of scary for them. The enclosure is large enough that I COULD sit in it, but it wouldn't be comfortable. Can I use a pouch? Any advice would be great. And yes at some point I will get pics uploaded.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It will take time, and you'll need LOTS of patience. I have had Leo a year and a half and he is NOW comfortable being held, tho he still complains about it. Simon always complains no matter what.

If you pick them up and hold them, make sure that they cannot fall. Another way to help them get more comfortable with being held is to offer yummy treats while you are holding them.

Thanatos

Cavy Gazer
How do you catch the piggies so you can hold them? With out freaking them out.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
Do you have a piggy bed or some kind of a soft hidey such as a fleece tunnel? That is always how I caught my piggies when they were young. They run into it and you can just pick them up in it. They feel safe and protected and it really helps them get used to being picked up and handled.

Thanatos

Cavy Gazer
Yep I have several floppy fleece tunnels. Also a shark hide.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.