Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Is It Too Late To Get Another Guinea Pig?

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone! I'm so excited! I FINALLY got enough money to buy a new cage! With just enough space for two! I hope it arrives soon! Actually, that leads me to a new question. Do you think that it's too late to get her a friend? According to my sister, her previous owner has had her for over 8 years. And, I don't think she ever had a companion throughout her entire life! There's also a few other issues. Like where I'm going to keep the other piggy while I bond them. You see, I currently live in a really small house that doesn't have a lot of space. There's only two rooms that I'll probably be able to keep it in. The living room and the dining room. In the dining room it doesn't only get really hot this time time of year, but there are a bunch of bugs everywhere. And we have mice. Same with the living room but with the added bonus of a REALLY loud TV. I could also keep it in my bedroom, but that's where cupcake stays.. thanks for reading this. I hope somebody answers, lol. And sorry for any grammar mistakes. It's like 5 AM here. I hope you have a good day.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
My concern is the cage size. What type and size exactly is the cage?

Depending on personality of your current pig and any new pig a cage "With just enough space for two!" may be too crowded even though it meets the bare minimum. I had a sow who was very territorial and needed a wider cage to relax. Sometimes cages that advertise as being big enough just are not.

Also, if your pig is over 8 years old, she is a very senior pig. You definitely want to make sure to quarantine any new pig BEFORE introductions so you don't unintentional get your older pig ill. You want a few weeks quarantine to be sure new pig does not have fungal or upper respiratory issues which could be devastating to your older guinea pig.

Please do not place a guinea pig, even temporarily, in an area of your house that gets really hot. Guinea pigs are susceptible to heat stroke which can be deadly in a very short time.

The other consideration is if you do get another pig you MUST be absolutely sure of BOTH of their genders. You do not want to make a mistake with this. If your sow becomes pregnant at 8 years old that could also be deadly.

Lastly, be honest with yourself and make sure you have the funds for a vet visit. Illnesses happen, especially with older pigs, and you need to be sure you can provide vet care when needed. If it has taken a while to save for an adequate cage, perhaps the best thing to do is to start saving for a vet fund for your current pig. Trust me, I understand the desire to get a new pig...but you must be able to take very good care of your current one before you add on more responsibility.

Sometimes if the timing, space and financial arrangements are not right, the best decision is to wait until you can give any new (and old) pets a healthy, safe environment.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Honestly? I wouldn't put another pig with an eight-year-old that has been alone all her life. I know they do better in pairs, but eight is a very senior pig, and the stress of another pig might be more than she's up for. I'd just spend lots of time with her, and try to make life as interesting as possible for her.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I agree with [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]. She's been alone her entire life. 8 years is a good long life already, so why upset it?

If you spend a lot of time interacting with her, I would think she'll be fine. She's made it this long on her own and doesn't know any other way. Just love her the way she is.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I agree, I'd leave a single 8-year-old on her own since that's what she's used to. There are plenty ways to change up her living space to keep her engaged and active without upsetting her with a new roommate.

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Sorry for not responding to this for 2(3?) days, lol. I honestly forgot that I made this post until like this morning..

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I actually got a cage through here! (Still trying to figure out how to put it together properly, lol.) It's a large 2×4 cage with a ramp and a loft. And I know about that heatstroke thing. That's why I wasn't sure about where to put her..

Thanks for answering! I guess I'll have no choice but to wait! There's also something else I apparently forgot in this post, lol. I'm planning on moving soon. The house has a lot more space. But the problem is the two cats that also live there. (plus the third that I'm hopefully also going to bring over lol). Actually that could probably be post on it's own. So expect to hear again from me really soon lol.

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
That's honestly p disheartening to hear but I completely understand. Thanks! Actually, that was one of my main fears, lol. When I first got her I vowed to not only give her a big cage, but to also go to a local shelter and give her a piggy friend.. Well, at least I was able to do one of those things in the end! Thanks for the response! I'll try to spend as much time as possible with her! ..That should be easy
enough considering that she's already in my room!

KirbyFan8910

Cavy Slave
I guess I'll have to! Thanks for the response!

WhyzPiggies2021

Cavy Slave
❗OOPS: VERY OLD POST - VERY LATE RESPONSE❗❗ 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤭
Well, for anyone in a similar situation...
My Two Cents (Brief Response): If you have enough cage space for two piggies, two is always better than one.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmm...
I understand the, "... if it ain't broke, don't fix" attitude, BUT...

I had a male guinea pig that I simpy could not bond with any other MALE piggies.
He wasn't happy living alone (ate the cage bars, etc.) but I didn't think that there was anything I could do until he was a senior.

As fate would have it, my female guinea pig had her cysts and ovaries removed.
She was the perfect piggie to place him with him.
I honestly believe that he waited all his life for the love of his life.
He was over the moon, followed her everywhere, protected his queen.
She on the other hand, just put up with him.
They were an interesting match.

Part of me thinks: How much do you really have to lose by trying?
Watch closely, and if your senior gets upset, seperate. She will survive.
Unsuccessful bondings occur all the time.
Just my perspective based on my own experience.

Enjoy your piggies "Golden Years"... :)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.