Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Autumn and Midnight are dead today

urofan

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig named Autumn died today she was 5 or 6 years old. My other guinea pig named Midnight also died today but I had a little bit of time to say I love you and goodbye to him. I live in Western Oregon and it has been very hot today and I have never had any pets die because of how hot it was. The only small animal pet that I still have is a male rabbit.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
My condolences for your loss.

I have also lost more than one guinea pig to heat stroke in a single event, it was an unfortunate night in the middle of summer two years ago where my air conditioner broke while I was asleep. Awful thing to wake up too, but I was very fortunate 5 of my 8 at the time were okay despite being exposed to the same temperatures. It was so shocking because the temperature tracking thermometer I had in the room said it only got up to 29 Celsius in that room that night.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
My condolences, I’m so sorry this happened. High temps take a toll on guinea pigs, and if they are older or have any health issues, it’s just that much worse in the heat. Ice packs under the bedding and a fan can help. Take care of yourself.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry. RIP Autumn and Midnight. This happened to a rescue in Texas, but I believe that no animal passed because they had another one and the go fund me was completed less than two days. RIP for your beautiful piggies, they will be happy over the rainbow bridge. This is one of those uncontrollable moments that sometimes we feel guilty for. I am happy that your rabbit is ok and happy.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@urofan, I am so sorry for your loss. It's so very hard to lose one, but both and at the same time is absolutely heartbreaking.

I hope Autumn and Midnight are happy together at the Rainbow Bridge, rolling in the grass and eating whatever they want.

Rest in peace, ladies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost them. I'm afraid you're not going to be the only one. Those temperatures are unbelievable, and relatively few houses have air conditioning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.