Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Runny Nose: URI?

AbuBalooandMe

Cavy Slave
Hi
My guinea pigs both appear to have runny noses and their eyes are a little wet. I'm thinking possibly a URI? Baloo is sneezing with a runny nose and wetness around his eyes. Abu appears to have a little bit of a runny nose. We just came back from a 9 day trip with someone watching over them, so I can't be sure how long it's been going on. We are taking them into an exotics vet tonight. What should I expect?

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

AbuBalooandMe

Cavy Slave
It's really weird because now it doesn't appear to be anything on either of them. Is it possible that it was something that was bothering them at where they were while I was on the trip? Or is that unlikely? Should I watch them for a while and hold off on going to the vet? The vet is open late so we can go later if we have to. It seems really weird that they both had it then it both stopped.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Could be an allergy to something. Is the vet open tomorrow if you decide to go then?

AbuBalooandMe

Cavy Slave
I put them in their cage that has fleece in it and both their noses started running again, so I think that my mom must have bought a different laundry detergent that is bothering them. I washed the fleece that they had with them with the same detergent as their regular cage this time, and they have never had this problem. It's the same brand just a different kind. I'm pretty sure the vet is open tomorrow.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She may have used a detergent with a scent in it. And the pigs may well be allergic. After all, they're right on the fleece all the time, with no way to escape that.

If washing the fleece again fixes the problem, you can probably skip the vet visit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.