Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Alfafa pellets for adult pigs

effyastrid

Cavy Slave
So both my guinea pigs are around 9 months old- I've been feeding them Oxbow adult guinea pig pellets since they were 6 months- the timothy hay ones. However, I recently carelessly ordered the young guinea pig pellets by mistake which are made of Alfafa hay. I'm aware these aren't the best to feed for adult pigs due to the calcium. Is it okay if I still feed them these until they run out? Or should I rebuy the timothy pellets. I'm a little tight on budget and don't really want to waste the money, so I'm lost on what to do. Any tips would be helpful.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I hear you on the cost of pellets. I've had a similar situation with choosing Oxbow Garden Select only to have my guinea pig lose interest in those, and I was stuck with an almost-full bag.

I don't think I'd risk feeding the alfalfa because, as you say, the calcium would be a concern. Depending on where you ordered from, they may exchange the pellets for you. If it was Chewy, I would contact their customer service and see if they could help you. I've had great customer service with them.

If that's not an option, I would reorder the pellets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.