Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Cage with 2ft tall solid walls

Hello! After one of my guinea pigs passed in May, I was looking for a companion for my remaining girl, Nutmeg. My local shelter had a litter of three female baby guinea pigs. We placed a deposit on one, but when we arrived we were told that they wouldnít be separating them. Long story short, I have 4 guinea pigs now. They arenít together yet as the three new girls have ringworm thatís being treated. Anyway, Nutmegís cage is only 8 sq ft, which I know is much too small for all of them. Iím wondering if I could house them in my Syrian hamsterís DIY cage when he passes away. Itís 4ft long by 4ft wide by 2 ft tall and made out of coated wood (meaning urine canít soak in). This would be an appropriate size, right? However, I am concerned about it having 4 solid walls. Iíve heard thatís dangerous for guinea pigs. Is it a viable option? Iím assuming not, but I thought I might as well ask.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    920 Rec'd/708 Posts

Re: Cage with 2ft tall solid walls

First, thank you so much for giving those girls a new loving home.

You are correct. Pigs are very susceptible to upper respiratory infections and therefore really need good airflow through the cage. That's why solid walled enclosures such as aquariums are a bad idea.

It would be much easier (And cheap) to build them a C & C cage. 4ft X 4Ft C & C would be a great home for them.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    First, thank you so much for giving those girls a new loving home.

You are correct. Pigs are very susceptible to upper respiratory infections and therefore really need good airflow through the cage. That's why solid walled enclosures such as aquariums are a bad idea.

It would be much easier (And cheap) to build them a C & C cage. 4ft X 4Ft C & C would be a great home for them.
    Thank you for the answer! I was hoping I could save a bit of trouble by using the cage I already have, but I definitely wouldnít want to risk anything happening to them.

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4085 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,525 Rec'd/6,013 Posts

You could probably modify it by cutting windows in the solid walls and putting grids in those places. If you mount the grids from the inside, they wouldn't be able to get to the untreated wood where the window cuts were made.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    You could probably modify it by cutting windows in the solid walls and putting grids in those places. If you mount the grids from the inside, they wouldn't be able to get to the untreated wood where the window cuts were made.
    Thatís definitely an idea, but I donít have a saw to cut the wood with.

User Tag List