Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage with 2ft tall solid walls

Remy_

Cavy Slave
Hello! After one of my guinea pigs passed in May, I was looking for a companion for my remaining girl, Nutmeg. My local shelter had a litter of three female baby guinea pigs. We placed a deposit on one, but when we arrived we were told that they wouldn’t be separating them. Long story short, I have 4 guinea pigs now. They aren’t together yet as the three new girls have ringworm that’s being treated. Anyway, Nutmeg’s cage is only 8 sq ft, which I know is much too small for all of them. I’m wondering if I could house them in my Syrian hamster’s DIY cage when he passes away. It’s 4ft long by 4ft wide by 2 ft tall and made out of coated wood (meaning urine can’t soak in). This would be an appropriate size, right? However, I am concerned about it having 4 solid walls. I’ve heard that’s dangerous for guinea pigs. Is it a viable option? I’m assuming not, but I thought I might as well ask.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, thank you so much for giving those girls a new loving home.

You are correct. Pigs are very susceptible to upper respiratory infections and therefore really need good airflow through the cage. That's why solid walled enclosures such as aquariums are a bad idea.

It would be much easier (And cheap) to build them a C & C cage. 4ft X 4Ft C & C would be a great home for them.

Remy_

Cavy Slave
First, thank you so much for giving those girls a new loving home.

You are correct. Pigs are very susceptible to upper respiratory infections and therefore really need good airflow through the cage. That's why solid walled enclosures such as aquariums are a bad idea.

It would be much easier (And cheap) to build them a C & C cage. 4ft X 4Ft C & C would be a great home for them.

Thank you for the answer! I was hoping I could save a bit of trouble by using the cage I already have, but I definitely wouldn’t want to risk anything happening to them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You could probably modify it by cutting windows in the solid walls and putting grids in those places. If you mount the grids from the inside, they wouldn't be able to get to the untreated wood where the window cuts were made.

Remy_

Cavy Slave
You could probably modify it by cutting windows in the solid walls and putting grids in those places. If you mount the grids from the inside, they wouldn't be able to get to the untreated wood where the window cuts were made.
That’s definitely an idea, but I don’t have a saw to cut the wood with.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.