Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick Introductions (After Death of Cagemate)

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    913 Rec'd/704 Posts

Re: Quick Introductions (After Death of Cagemate)

Before I say anything else, find a way to deter Owl from biting the divider. You definitely don't want him to break his teeth.

The introduction did NOT go south. Nibbler just fell ill at a VERY inopportune time, and I'd wager a guess that he got whatever Yancy had. So keeping them separate at this point would be a good thing to do. When Nibbler recovers, you can reintroduce both of them and since they've already seemed to get along just fine, a second reintroduction should go just as well.

While Nibbler is on the antibiotics, its critical to monitor his weight, I would say once a day in the morning. That's the only way you'll know if he's eating and drinking enough. If his weight starts to slide, begin supplementing with Critical Care.

You should also pick up some benebac pet gel or powder asap. He will need some sort of probiotic to administer 1-2 hours after his antibiotic dose. It a necessity IMHO.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Before I say anything else, find a way to deter Owl from biting the divider. You definitely don't want him to break his teeth.

The introduction did NOT go south. Nibbler just fell ill at a VERY inopportune time, and I'd wager a guess that he got whatever Yancy had. So keeping them separate at this point would be a good thing to do. When Nibbler recovers, you can reintroduce both of them and since they've already seemed to get along just fine, a second reintroduction should go just as well.

While Nibbler is on the antibiotics, its critical to monitor his weight, I would say once a day in the morning. That's the only way you'll know if he's eating and drinking enough. If his weight starts to slide, begin supplementing with Critical Care.

You should also pick up some benebac pet gel or powder asap. He will need some sort of probiotic to administer 1-2 hours after his antibiotic dose. It a necessity IMHO.
    Thank you as always for your responses. What can we use to deter owl from biting the grid/cage?
    I ordered BeneBac gel in syringe form and it should be coming tomorrow. Weíll be administering the first dose of meds in a few minutes.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    913 Rec'd/704 Posts

Plexiglas would be optimal. Failing that, perhaps some coroplast or even a piece of cardboard cut from a large box. Just make sure there are no tape or labels or anything else stuck to the box that he can ingest .

You DO have Owl who is a healthy pig. I know it's gross, but you can make "poop soup" from a healthy pig. Just take a bean, mix it with hot water thoroughly, and draw it up in a 1cc syringe and feed it to Nibbler an hour or so after he has his Sulfatrim. I have honestly found that poop soup is often the best probiotic a pig can get.

4. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Plexiglas would be optimal. Failing that, perhaps some coroplast or even a piece of cardboard cut from a large box. Just make sure there are no tape or labels or anything else stuck to the box that he can ingest .

You DO have Owl who is a healthy pig. I know it's gross, but you can make "poop soup" from a healthy pig. Just take a bean, mix it with hot water thoroughly, and draw it up in a 1cc syringe and feed it to Nibbler an hour or so after he has his Sulfatrim. I have honestly found that poop soup is often the best probiotic a pig can get.
    Nibblerís poop results came back negative and theyíre looking good 2.5 days into the treatment. Weíve been laying off the veggies just in case it might upset him, but I do want to try to reintroduce green/red bell peppers back into the mix to give them both a vitamin C boost.

Iíve been feeling sad for Owl as he keeps laying near the divider and trying to interact with Nibbler. Nibbler does such as well, but a part of me thinks that Nibbler truly isnít the alpha he thinks he is and it just caught on. I just saw Owl rumble-strutting from the other side of the cage as Nibbler was near, Nibbs appeared frozen for a few seconds and then ran to the opposite side. I donít know what to think about this relationship now.

What if Nibbler wasnít really sick, but just stressed? Iíve been noticing him yawn a lot recently as well (not much today) but perhaps itís too much chasing for him to handle especially at his old age and in the heat.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    913 Rec'd/704 Posts

The behavior you're describing doesn't really sound like a stressed pig, per se. Tell me, when they yawn are their eyes closed or open?

If they close their eyes when they yawn, they're just tired. If their eyes are open, however, that means they're showing their teeth to whomever they're yawning at , and it's meant as a warning.

Continuing their bell pepper is only a good thing unless their tummies are so bad they shouldn't. In that case, vitamin C drops are a good solution.

Just from what I've read, it really does sound like Nibbler had a touch of whatever Yancy had, and with his treatment and care he's starting to come around. It will take time. Poor Owl realizes he has a buddy now and he just wants to spend time with him. It's totally understandable and normal behavior.

As for the heat, as I've said, anything over 75 degrees really is getting too warm for them. You're risking heat stroke above that. Guinea pigs are originally from an area in the Andes mountains, and are thusly a more temperate climate animal.

User Tag List