Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Two Guinea Pig Deaths in One Month

mxemxe

Cavy Gazer
Two years ago, I adopted two girls, Cassandra and Sophie. I don't know their exact ages but they were estimated to be 1 year and 3 years respectively. I only had one minor medical issue with Sophie soon after adopting but it was only a hay poke.

Sophie passed away suddenly last month. She was always a little slower and wanted to just sleep a lot so I assume she was a bit older than estimated, so maybe around 5-6 when she passed. Her passing I can kind of understand and come to terms with since she was an elderly pig.

Cassandra passed away this morning which shocked me. She was perfectly fine last night, running around and bubbling. She ate all her veggies very enthusiastically. She was only about 3 when she passed.

I know guinea pig deaths can be really sudden and have no real cause behind it, but two guinea pigs in such a short amount of time makes me worry that I may have done something wrong...

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
I dont think you did or they likely would have passed much sooner. You sound like a good GP owner or you wouldn't be here.
At least it was mercifully quick. My GP who passed last year went through heck for two months. My current one who is almost 6 had eye removal surgery.
I am VERY SORRY for your loss (hugs).

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I hope Cassandra and Sophie have found each other at the Rainbow Bridge and are happily playing together again. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Just from the description you've given, it doesn't sound like there's anything that you've done wrong. There are just so many factors with guinea pigs, such as the home they had before they found you, genetic disorders, inbreeding, the list goes on.

The fact of the matter is that sometimes, there just isn't an answer. If there is one, it may be found if a necropsy is done. That's not an option for me, but some people just need to know for whatever their reason may be.

Thank you for adopting those two little girls, and giving them a warm, loving home for the two years you had them. I'm sure they will forever remember you, and you, them.

Rest in peace at the Rainbow Bridge, ladies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.