Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

How good/bad are corn husks?

Our 4 year old senior pig has been through a lot lately. She lost her companion, then did not get along with an aggressive potential cagemate. She hasn't had much of an appetite, which have attributed to aging and stress. BUT we gave her some corn husks and she went crazy for them. Ran around squealing, gobbled them up. Just bought some more and she is wheeking and wheeking for them even though she just ate some. It's nice to see her enthusiastic about something because she has been rather subdued. How much is OK to give her? It's just the outer leaves, not the silks or the kernels.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    924 Rec'd/712 Posts

Re: How good/bad are corn husks?

From what I understand, corn husks are just fine for her. I even know some people who freeze corn husks for their pigs for the winter months. They have long strand fibre that's good for them, like hay.

Make sure you feed the inner leaves, and not the absolute outer ones. Those may contain pesticides that you definitely don't want her eating.

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4086 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,527 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

The silks are also good for her. Just cut off the dried outer ones and only feed the inner ones. As @Guinea Pig Papa said, corn is grown with a LOT of pesticides, so you don't want to feed any part of the ear that has been exposed to them.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Trying to help her get more calories. Her appetite is kind of low. She hardly eats any pellets. Is there any nutrition in these?

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4086 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,527 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

I've never been able to find nutritional values for corn husks. But they shouldn't replace hay if hay is available, since hay is a nearly perfect food for GPs. I always just used them as a treat.

Weighing her regularly and recording the weights is a better way of monitoring weight than whether or not she eats pellets.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    137 Rec'd/131 Posts

I freeze corn husks for my guinea pig. I had 4 of the gallon freezer bags over winter and I have jut a small bunch left. At one point when my guinea pig was ill, corn husks were the only food she really liked so it kept her eating until she felt better. I’ve never been able to get nutritional information either.

User Tag List