Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Best Herd Structure??? (who to keep :c)

stephable

Cavy Slave
Hi all!

I got guinea pigs for the first time about 6 months ago, adopting 4 girls. 2 were pregnant on arrival so I then had a whole bunch of extras. I'm now trying to decide who to keep and who to rehome since I don't have enough space for all of them.

The current situation is 6 girls and 1 boy, seperated. The girls are 3 adults and 3 babies (3 months approx.) and the male is another baby. One of the adults did pass away after having her babies :c she just didn't cope well after having them.

They have a large outdoor hutch in a well protected courtyard, raised off the ground. It has a second story but that was previously where I had the male seperated so I don't know if they'll use it. They also have access to a large run area in a garden bed so they can be on soil and I regularly give them grass or other plants to eat and forage on out there. The number of animals was based off just the area in the bottom of the hutch. I also have an indoor space for them for if the weather gets too hot or too cold (although they also have heating and cooling mats depending on season).

I'm able to house 4-5 piggies long term so I'm thinking I might rehome 2 of the girls as a pair (they're all already bonded) and desex the male to add back in with the ladies once the hormones are out of his system.

Does that sound like a good idea? I want my herd to be happy and harmonious but I've fallen in love with this little boy and really want to keep him. I'm planning to rehome the girls with more pushy personalities in this plan so that there's a bit more peace.

Any advice welcomed! I have a fantastic vet that has been working with my rabbits for many years so I'm pretty comfortable with the desexing operation itself :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.