Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Rosemary's med thread

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Rosemary is squeaking while she is using the bathroom, and I found a few drops of blood in her urine. My dad does not want to take her to the vet. We gave her some cranberries and I am going to go to the grocery store to get some cranberry juice. What should I do?! I'm really scared and stressed right now. I feel stupid for not being a good guinea pig parent.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Those are classic signs of a urinary tract infection, and possibly a bladder stone. She needs to see a cavy savvy vet for antibiotics. Cranberry juice will do nothing for her.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Convince your dad that she needs to go. It won't get better on its own. If she has stones and develops a blockage, she can die if it isn't treated. A UTI shouldn't cost all that much to treat. (office visit+urine testing+meds) The money he wastes on over the counter stuff could be spent on the vet visit.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Sorry, she does not have blood in her urine, I mistook it for blood.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She needs to see a vet. Providing medical care is as much a part of responsible pet ownership as food, hay and bedding.

A UTI is not that expensive to treat. A stone IS expensive to treat, but causes the pig great pain and can kill it.

Cranberry juice is helpful in humans to prevent UTIs, but will do nothing for one that has already started. Besides, its purpose is to acidify the urine. Herbivores have basic urine, not acidic, and cranberry juice is useless.

Figure out a way to take your pet to the vet.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Aww, poor Rosie! Is she still squeaking when she’s peeing? If she’s acting completely fine then could it be the cranberries that dyed her pee red? I know that once I fed my guinea pigs carrots and their pee turned orange, I completely freaked out but it turned out to be just their food.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
It's more chirping when she's peeing.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
I feel sorry for my mom because she has grown attached to the little girl, like me. So she was looking for exotic vets near us and it's kind of stressing her out.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Update: Rosemary isn't squeaking as much when she was going to the bathroom. A few times she didn't squeak at all. Is she fooling me or what? She might be excited when I come to see her, and she is squeaking out of excitement. I don't know what is going on!

Last edited:

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I would look for a vet anyway. You are going to need one eventually. Better to find one now and establish care than to not have anything when something comes up. I would try to convince your parents that she needs to at least have an annual visit with a doctor.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Call and ask them if they can recommend anyone else. See which doctors see exotics and when. Try to find reviews mentioning exotics. I would get at least the base office visit+exam fee so you know what you're in for. Our exotics-only vet is $105 per vet but our regular 'all animals' vet is $65.

https://prairieanimalhospital.com/faq/ -
[h=3]Do Your Veterinarians See Exotics?[/h]

Some of our veterinarians will see some exotics/pockets pets including:​
Ferrets​
Guinea Pigs​
Hamsters​
Rabbits​
Rats​
Please call ahead for availability or referral to an exotic specialty clinic.​

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
If you see her bedding or whatever you keep her on has a red tinge, I would still try to get her in. Hopefully you won't get stuck with a dumb doctor like I did who insisted Amigo's red pee was normal, and then was surprised when it came back positive for blood! I should have some pics somewhere on the site of what Amigo's looked like (unless it was on my old account). It literally looked like he'd peed blood. I'd imagine an office visit, urinalysis and meds would be like $150 if it is a reasonably priced vet (going off what my work charges and what I've been charged).

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Ok, good news. My parents allowed me to take her to the vet only if my sister takes her, who is equally concerned (and is a Registered Nurse, she's a great help).

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Ugh, exotic vets are so HARD to find.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
I was checking her bedding, after she recently peed in it, and I found a wee little bit of blood in it.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Ugh, exotic vets are so HARD to find.

You're going to have to call any vet that may take pigs based on what you see online. Ask you sister if she is willing to drive to a different town if you find a vet there.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
If you need to tell your dad cheaper now than later. A sick visit and an antibiotic script should be under a 100. Most basic vets even if not cavy savvy can take a look and prescribe the script.
Now dont get me wrong exotic is usually better but keep that in your back pocket in case the better plan doesnt pan out.
Sometimes I wish you could just buy baytril yourself.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.