Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/6 Posts

Buying Cages Online

Hello! As some of you may know, Iíve been fostering two guinea pigs, Midnight and Oona. Today I met a potential adopter! Anyway so when they asked if I wanted to see the cage that they bought, I said yes. Well, they showed me a hamster cage. It was small, even for a hamster (1ft by 1ft or 30 cm by 30cm). It even had a wheel...

I politely told them that the cage was way to small, and then I told them that Iíll send them some links to bigger cages online. I know that c and c cages are the way to go, but this family was looking for a cage off of Amazon that was easy to build. Most pet store cages are too small, but do you guys know any appropriate commercially sold guinea pig cages?

Another thing is that they knew very little about guinea pigs, are there any articles out there that tell people everything they need to know about guinea pigs?

Thank you so much!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/26 Posts

Re: Buying Cages Online

Do not give them the pigs til you can physically see a correct set up. I'm all about assessing adopters...do they really want the pigs or do they want cute babies they may grow tired of?

The biggest pet store cages are not going to work. I should know, I bought one myself last year. Plus I work in a pet store and daily have to see the biggest there is to offer. For example, my first cage was 2x4 foot, however you have to remember it is measured from the outside borders. If the cage slants inward, that space is a lot smaller.

It is much easier and cheaper to do a c&c cage. I would introduce c&c cages to these people and explain where to buy cheap...no offense to some sites but some people don't want to pay $150 for a cage when it could be done DIY.

This what I first bought : https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/c...t-5291294.html

I spent LESS on a 2x5 c&c cage from a local rescue a few months later.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/6 Posts

The son really wants a friend because he has medical issues, so they decided on guinea pigs. From what I can tell, they really want to care for guinea pigs well, they just didn't know how.

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

Here's a thread with info on how to find the materials for a C&C: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...cage-materials

This site has instructions on how to do it: http://www.cavyspirit.com.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    542 Rec'd/456 Posts

There is a cage on Amazon that I can see that does meet the size requirement AS LONG AS you also purchase the extension.

https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Homes...dp/B07CDXJVP2/

So the XL rabbit cage comes in at about 7.7 sq feet, but adding on the wire extention brings it out to a very good 10.7 sq feet which is a great size for a pair. Just make sure it is clear the standard cage is not suitable on its own, and the wooden hutch extension is not the extension you want.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/6 Posts

Ok, thank you so much! I’ll send them these links so that they can buy better housing. Don’t worry, we won’t adopt out until they get the appropriate cage. I just want Midnight and Oona go get the best forever home!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/26 Posts

You can never be too careful when adopting animals. I fostered a dog for a rescue, volunteer currently for a cat rescue, and personally rehomed mistreated fish for a time - you may get a lot of crazy people or impulse buyers. People who may want a cute animal, or don't really have their best interest in mind. I want these pigs in a good home as much as you do. Does the shelter or wherever you are fostering form have any sort of adoption form?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/6 Posts

Yes, adopters have to complete a background check and a quiz to make sure that they know enough about guinea pigs.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/6 Posts

Also, it it weird that Oona is so strongly bonded to her mom that she will cry and run in circles whenever her mom is not there? We were cutting Midnights nails, and Oona started going crazy!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teambenji543 View Post
    Also, it it weird that Oona is so strongly bonded to her mom that she will cry and run in circles whenever her mom is not there? We were cutting Midnights nails, and Oona started going crazy!
    It's probably normal. My boys get anxious when I remove one from the cage.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/6 Posts

Ok, i am happy (and a little sad to say) that Midnight and Oona got adopted! A different lady ended up adopting them after the initial family decided that guinea pigs were not for them. She has two guinea pigs and she is hoping to add Midnight and Oona to her herd! Iím so happy that they got adopted together, and to a lady with lots of guinea pig experience. Iím going dropping them off tomorrow.

12. "Thank you, teambenji543, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List