Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Buying Cages Online

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Hello! As some of you may know, I’ve been fostering two guinea pigs, Midnight and Oona. Today I met a potential adopter! Anyway so when they asked if I wanted to see the cage that they bought, I said yes. Well, they showed me a hamster cage. It was small, even for a hamster (1ft by 1ft or 30 cm by 30cm). It even had a wheel...

I politely told them that the cage was way to small, and then I told them that I’ll send them some links to bigger cages online. I know that c and c cages are the way to go, but this family was looking for a cage off of Amazon that was easy to build. Most pet store cages are too small, but do you guys know any appropriate commercially sold guinea pig cages?

Another thing is that they knew very little about guinea pigs, are there any articles out there that tell people everything they need to know about guinea pigs?

Thank you so much!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Do not give them the pigs til you can physically see a correct set up. I'm all about assessing adopters...do they really want the pigs or do they want cute babies they may grow tired of?

The biggest pet store cages are not going to work. I should know, I bought one myself last year. Plus I work in a pet store and daily have to see the biggest there is to offer. For example, my first cage was 2x4 foot, however you have to remember it is measured from the outside borders. If the cage slants inward, that space is a lot smaller.

It is much easier and cheaper to do a c&c cage. I would introduce c&c cages to these people and explain where to buy cheap...no offense to some sites but some people don't want to pay $150 for a cage when it could be done DIY.

This what I first bought : (broken link removed)

I spent LESS on a 2x5 c&c cage from a local rescue a few months later.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
The son really wants a friend because he has medical issues, so they decided on guinea pigs. From what I can tell, they really want to care for guinea pigs well, they just didn't know how.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
There is a cage on Amazon that I can see that does meet the size requirement AS LONG AS you also purchase the extension.

https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Homes-Pets-Deluxe-X-Large/dp/B07CDXJVP2/

So the XL rabbit cage comes in at about 7.7 sq feet, but adding on the wire extention brings it out to a very good 10.7 sq feet which is a great size for a pair. Just make sure it is clear the standard cage is not suitable on its own, and the wooden hutch extension is not the extension you want.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Ok, thank you so much! I’ll send them these links so that they can buy better housing. Don’t worry, we won’t adopt out until they get the appropriate cage. :) I just want Midnight and Oona go get the best forever home!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
You can never be too careful when adopting animals. I fostered a dog for a rescue, volunteer currently for a cat rescue, and personally rehomed mistreated fish for a time - you may get a lot of crazy people or impulse buyers. People who may want a cute animal, or don't really have their best interest in mind. I want these pigs in a good home as much as you do. Does the shelter or wherever you are fostering form have any sort of adoption form?

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Yes, adopters have to complete a background check and a quiz to make sure that they know enough about guinea pigs.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Also, it it weird that Oona is so strongly bonded to her mom that she will cry and run in circles whenever her mom is not there? We were cutting Midnights nails, and Oona started going crazy!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Also, it it weird that Oona is so strongly bonded to her mom that she will cry and run in circles whenever her mom is not there? We were cutting Midnights nails, and Oona started going crazy!

It's probably normal. My boys get anxious when I remove one from the cage.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Ok, i am happy (and a little sad to say) that Midnight and Oona got adopted! A different lady ended up adopting them after the initial family decided that guinea pigs were not for them. She has two guinea pigs and she is hoping to add Midnight and Oona to her herd! I’m so happy that they got adopted together, and to a lady with lots of guinea pig experience. I’m going dropping them off tomorrow. :( :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.