Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

What breed are my guineas?

I was just wondering if anyone could identify the breeds of my guinea pigs? I also thought that Bruno was maybe albino, however I now realise that they are actually quite rare and I think completely white whereas Bruno is also beige, so Iím guessing he isnít actually albino.

I was also going to ask about roan guinea pigs and lethal whites. I didnít even know they existed until yesterday, but I realise that Bruno does have red eyes and is mainly white, though Iím probably just worrying seeing as he doesnít have any eye or hearing problems.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9CC237D8-E7CF-49F9-9506-A86950A52ABC.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	87852 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB44124C-BEE7-4A41-97F3-AD73915C6850.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	87853

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/23 Posts

Re: What breed are my guineas?

Bruno looks like an American. I can't tell on Ozzy though.

3. "Thank you, Rosiethecutepig, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/23 Posts

Ozzy has the same mohawk as my guinea pig. I can't tell her breed either.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cute Rosie.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	87855
    She looks like an Abyssinian, just with not as many rosettes.

5. "Thank you, Rosiethecutepig, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    268 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    549 Rec'd/463 Posts

Guinea pigs with a mohawk are called ridgeback.

Ozzy looks like a true mixed breed, it looks like he has a bit of longhair in him causing some longer fur around his bottom and neck, but he isn't a true longhair as he also has mostly short hair. His colour is a tri-colour, black, white and gold? (I'm not sure on exactly what "red series" colour his orange would classify as).

Bruno is an amercian, lilac and white dutch? tortoiseshell? (I'm not sure on which of those two patterns he would classify as), red eyed.

Red eyes are common in guinea pigs, and you can get red eyed guinea pigs in almost any colour. However even red eyed whites are not albinos, guinea pigs lack the genes to cause albinism, the closest they get is lethal whites which come with a host of potentially deadly defects hence why they are called lethal whites.

Lethal whites are only produced when two guinea pigs with the roan gene are mated and a pup inherits a roan gene from both parents, having two copies of the roan gene is what causes the long list of potential defects. Roaning in guinea pigs is a colour variant where their patches of colours have solid white furs intermixed, however it is possible for this gene to only express in select places not all over the guinea pig, as such it is also possible for the gene to only express where they happen to already be white. So it is possible to get Lethal whites from parents who may not physically look roan themselves but happen to carry the gene in a hidden way.

7. "Thank you, Soecara, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/61 Posts

Ozzy pretty much looks like my youngest pig Gimbly, who the rescue labeled as a sheltie/abyssinian mix. He's large, has very soft, thick hair, and has longer hair towards his rear like a sheltie. Same colors too.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Yeah that's why I was a bit confused about Ozzy - he has these tufty bits around his head and long fur at the back, but overall he has relatively short hair. Your guinea pig is so cute!

10. "Thank you, OzzyandBruno, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    Guinea pigs with a mohawk are called ridgeback.

Ozzy looks like a true mixed breed, it looks like he has a bit of longhair in him causing some longer fur around his bottom and neck, but he isn't a true longhair as he also has mostly short hair. His colour is a tri-colour, black, white and gold? (I'm not sure on exactly what "red series" colour his orange would classify as).

Bruno is an amercian, lilac and white dutch? tortoiseshell? (I'm not sure on which of those two patterns he would classify as), red eyed.

Red eyes are common in guinea pigs, and you can get red eyed guinea pigs in almost any colour. However even red eyed whites are not albinos, guinea pigs lack the genes to cause albinism, the closest they get is lethal whites which come with a host of potentially deadly defects hence why they are called lethal whites.

Lethal whites are only produced when two guinea pigs with the roan gene are mated and a pup inherits a roan gene from both parents, having two copies of the roan gene is what causes the long list of potential defects. Roaning in guinea pigs is a colour variant where their patches of colours have solid white furs intermixed, however it is possible for this gene to only express in select places not all over the guinea pig, as such it is also possible for the gene to only express where they happen to already be white. So it is possible to get Lethal whites from parents who may not physically look roan themselves but happen to carry the gene in a hidden way.

Thank you for explaining! Yes Ozzy does have some long fur around his head and bottom so that would make sense. Ah ok, I understand that now thanks

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4boipigs View Post
    Ozzy pretty much looks like my youngest pig Gimbly, who the rescue labeled as a sheltie/abyssinian mix. He's large, has very soft, thick hair, and has longer hair towards his rear like a sheltie. Same colors too.

Oh okay thanks, yes he does sound very similar to Ozzy.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    587 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    954 Rec'd/738 Posts

Both my boys Scooter and Punkin had fur like that. Punkin was mostly shorthair at the front, but grew longer as you went toward his bum. Once you got there his fur was so long I used to call it his "hula skirt", and I had to keep it trimmed.

Scooter had tufts around his ears, on the back of his hind legs and his fur on his bum was slightly longer but not overly so. Scooters fur was always silky smooth while Punkins' was a bit more coarse. Ozzy's colouring is even similar to Scooters'.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Both my boys Scooter and Punkin had fur like that. Punkin was mostly shorthair at the front, but grew longer as you went toward his bum. Once you got there his fur was so long I used to call it his "hula skirt", and I had to keep it trimmed.

Scooter had tufts around his ears, on the back of his hind legs and his fur on his bum was slightly longer but not overly so. Scooters fur was always silky smooth while Punkins' was a bit more coarse. Ozzy's colouring is even similar to Scooters'.

Thanks for the reply Haha "hula skirt" thats so cute! Ozzy sounds like a bit of a mix between Punkin and Scooter, though more similar to Scooter.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    587 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    954 Rec'd/738 Posts

You can see Scooter's ear tufts and wisps here :

Name:	20180825_093553.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	87860

And while not the greatest pic of Punkin, this is a good idea of his hula skirt.

Name:	Punkins hula skirt.jpg 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	87861

16. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    You can see Scooter's ear tufts and wisps here :

Name:	20180825_093553.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	87860

And while not the greatest pic of Punkin, this is a good idea of his hula skirt.

Name:	Punkins hula skirt.jpg 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	87861

Aw cute! I sometimes think Ozzy's ear tufts make him look like a rockhopper penguin but less exaggerated (I think that's what they're called)

User Tag List