Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Do I need a to separate my guineas?

Sruppe2174

Cavy Gazer
I’ve had my guineas for a month and a half now. They are probably around 5-6 months old. I got them both together. I have three 2x3 C&C cages connected that they live in plus most days they get over an hour run outside of their cage. I also have two water spots, 4 areas with hay and two areas with pellets. Even after a month and a half one of them constantly bullies the other. Kicks her out of her hiding area constantly, chases her, rumblestrutting and teeth chatter, mounting, scares her from her food, etc. It’s never gotten to the point of a full out fight though. I can’t tell if the chasing is in fun or not or what the noises they make suggest. I’m not sure what to do because the other guinea just doesn’t seem that happy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You sure they're both female? You've turned them over and compared their private parts?

Sruppe2174

Cavy Gazer
Yeah they both seem the have the same parts. Both have the large Y’s.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are a few things you can try.

First, make sure every hidey has two doors. One-door hideys are just invitations for one pig to trap another and get its face bitten.

Second, make sure the lines of sight in the cage are broken up so that the pigs can't always easily see each other. Fleece forests or hanging fleece strips are good for that. You can stagger them across the cage so they can't see from one end to the other. They can easily run through if being chased but can also hide.

Third, try a buddy bath. Bathe them together -- the idea is that the shared terror may increase their dependence on one another. When they're thoroughly dry, put a teeny drop of vanilla on each nose and tail so that they both smell the same. That may break the dominance cycle. If it improves it, try the vanilla again when the behavior starts to go downhill.

Fourth, eyeball your cage for areas when one pig can trap another (besides hideys). If there are ramps, can one pig block another? Or can they get caught under the ramp? Is the cage furniture too close together.

Fifth, put food, water, and hay piles at several places in the cage, including both ends of the cage. A pig can't guard the whole cage at one time, and that may give the more timid one a chance to eat.

Let us know how things go.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.