Thread: 0.87ml Baytril - Is this dose too high?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

0.87ml Baytril - Is this dose too high?

Hi all - I received Baytril for my pig for a suspected UTI and the dose seems huge.

They prescribed 0.87 ml twice a day for 10 days. The bottle says "Enrofloxacin 20 mg/ml Oral Suspension 20 ml". If I'm reading this correctly this means she's getting 17 mg per dose. GuineaLynx recommends ~7 mg per dose based on her weight (1.15 kg) and says the upper limit is 10 mg per dose.

I've already given her one dose at .87 ml today but now I'm really concerned and wonder if I should still give the second dose tonight.

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

Re: 0.87ml Baytril - Is this dose too high?

I'd give only half the dose tonight and call the vet in the morning. I wonder if they meant to say give that dose once per day, which is within the guidelines. Given twice a day, it should be roughly half that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I called today and spoke with their on-call vet and they said that it's within the guidelines (they cited up to 20 mg as being the upper limit). Weird to conflict with GuineaLynx and to administer such huge doses, but they are a respected exotic clinic. It's also definitely in a strawberry syrup so maybe that dilutes it enough?

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

The syrup doesn't dilute the dosage. It's just makes it somewhat palatable. Baytril tastes HORRIBLE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I believe you - it smells strongly of strawberries but she still hates it. She's definitely experiencing some side effects too but spoke with the vet in more detail today and she confirmed the dosage is right and that some lethargy is expected. I'm supplementing with a probiotic after each dose, but she's starting to sniff her cagemate's bum perhaps for a poo? I heard about poop soup but a little hesitant at this point. Her cagemate is a baby (like two months old).

I think I read somewhere that some vets administer a 'rabbit dosage' of baytril when it comes to pigs and maybe this is why it's such a high dose. The vet also said that lowering the dose wouldn't matter much in terms of side effects; any of the medication would elicit the same response in a particular pig. Interesting.

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

Poop soup wouldn't hurt. Just mix a bean with a little water and syringe it to her. Cecal poop would be better, but the donor is usually understandably very hesitant to give it up, so a bean will do.

User Tag List