Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Popcorning Falling over popcorning?

Mousewife

Cavy Slave
Following the loss of my last pig, we adopted a pair of very young, gorgeous boars. A standard and a Lunkarya.
They are currently 8 and 10 weeks respectively.

The standard, whose name is Gaffer, is HILARIOUSLY high energy. I’ve never owned such a young, high energy pig before.

My concern: he popcorns so much that he tends to fall over a lot when he does. Sometimes he will fall over on his side, kick his legs to get up, trip over a toy (they have a few soft stuffies that they love hiding under), popcorn and kick again, etc. It will take him a few tries to regain his footing. He’ll be fine for a bit, then he starts over.
Theres a lot of head shaking when he does this.

Its not all the time. There are specific times of day that he does it.

still, I have never had a pig popcorn *this much*.
because my last pig was so sick all the time, part of me is concerned about a potential ear infection??

(ps, obviously he has gotten over his shyness, lol)

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have SO many videos of Scooter doing JUST that as a baby. He and Punkin were such high energy kids and I had never had babies before.

All I can say is enjoy it, because it's fleeting. A year from now that will be gone for the most part and you will miss it immensely. Get as many videos as you can. Watching those videos of Scooter and Punkin as babies, somewhat helps to temper the pain of losing them so young.

Mousewife

Cavy Slave
Thanks.
I think having dealt with a chronically sick pig for so long, I just sort of subconsciously expect everything to be bad.

His “brother” (cage mate) is so completely calm and chill.

I have the best video of Gaffer playing tag with my daughter on the play mat. He has the energy of a puppy.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I know what you mean about sick pigs. Dealing with Sly's dental issues was a 20 month ordeal. When Punkin and Scooter fell ill at the same time, that turned into around the clock feedings for both pigs for almost two months, at which time we lost Punkin. Scooter recovered for the most part and then fell ill again, and we subsequently lost him 9 months after his fight started.

I can relate. Sometimes I feel like I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.