Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated Bloated or chubby- What to do?

cavylovey

Cavy Gazer
Hi there! This is my first post on this forum, though I have been reading guineapigcages.com forums for years and have always found everyone’s advice helpful.

Tonight I was petting my guinea pig, Clove, who is 5 years old. I noticed her belly was a little firm. However, she doesn’t possess any other symptoms of bloat. She is not lethargic and is eating and drinking well. I haven’t noticed her having any trouble pooping, but since I just felt the firmness tonight, I haven’t looked out for it before now. Her tummy also looks a little swollen, but she has always been my chubbier girl. Like I said, she hasn’t had any other symptoms.

To be extra cautious, I bought some simethicone drops to give to her. Should I administer these drops to her? And if so, what is the appropriate dosage? The exact brand of drops I bought her is “Mommy’s Bliss Baby Gas Relief Simethicone Drops.” The ingredients are
Simethicone, carboxymethylcellulose sodium, citric acid, ginger extract, microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 60, potassium sorbate, purified water, sodium benzoate, sorbitan monostearate, sorbitol, stevia extract, xanthan gum.”​

Thanks so much!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't give the simethicone as long as she's eating and pooping normally.

cavylovey

Cavy Gazer
Are the ingredients in the simethicone okay?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The ingredients are OK. But you shouldn't give simethicone, or any other medicine, unless the pig actually needs it.

Bloat is an illness, and pigs with bloat will usually show symptoms. Chubby pigs do not.

cavylovey

Cavy Gazer
Okay, thank you so much. I’ve noticed that her sides often feel firm. Is this normal?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, particularly if she's just eaten and hasn't pooped in a while. You need to worry when they're firm all the time, sound hollow when thumped, and when she's showing signs of illness such as not eating or pooping.

cavylovey

Cavy Gazer
Okay! Thanks so much!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.