Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Piggies losing Weight

Both of my pigs have lost quite a lot of weight, Oreo used too weigh 3 pounds, and my other pig Mohawk weighed 3.6 pounds, both weigh 2.5 pounds now, they probably lost this slowly in the last 6-8 months, both are rescues and old

at first I just figured they were just getting old and losing a little weight but now they have lost quite a bit, they still act normal and eat/drink plenty and are active and play

what do you guys think??

im thinking likely there getting close to their last months/years since there so old if they do get sick I will probably euthanize m, but Iím hoping they still live a while

what makes me think their not sick is they are losing weight slowly if guinea pigs get sick they just suddenly lose weight often

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    41 Rec'd/38 Posts

Re: Piggies losing Weight

If it is possible, I would make a vet appointment if you haven't already. Best wishes for them.

3. "Thank you, TheGuineaPigGal, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Quoted
    558 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    911 Rec'd/702 Posts

I would make an appointment, and have them checked by an an exotic vet. Just to make sure everything is ok.

That said, how old ARE they? You really shouldn't see a decline in weight until they become seniors, around 5 years of age give or take. As guinea pigs age, I have come to understand that there is usually a slow, yet steady decline in weight. I had dealt with it with both of my senior boys a few years ago, but both had a health issue (one minor, the other major) but they were both eating fine for the most part. As part of the aging process, muscle tone is lost and muscle DOES weigh more than fat.

As long as they aren't losing a dramatic amount in a short amount of time, they should be fine. 3.6 pounds is a big boy, and all of my boys except for Simon has achieved that weight or very close to it.

5. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/25 Posts

Definitely go to a vet. It could be a variety things (scurvy, some other illness, 'old age', etc). The vet can give you supplemental food like Emeraid or Critical Care too.

Pigs can hide illness well. I adopted a very underweight pig who had scurvy. He 'acted normal', but he definitely wasn't well! (He is fine now of course)

User Tag List