Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Unable to sex guinea pigs and the vet hasn't returned my calls

So about a week ago I had gotten two guinea pigs, I assumed they'd both be the same gender until I checked the site and saw that they housed both male and female guinea pigs. I have tried contacting the vet to get them sexed and to see if either of them were pregnant but have yet to get a call back. This is the only exotics vet in my area.

They both seem to be pretty healthy. They're currently kept in a single story 12.5 sq/ft cage, im adding a second level once I've finished unpacking the rest of my belongings. Their diet consists of a blend of Timothy hay and grass hay, oxbow Timothy hay pellets, vitamin C supplements**, and the occasional baked banana/apple Timothy hay treat. I did try sexing them but I literally can't tell because I've never owned guinea pigs lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210502_163939.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	87832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210502_142646.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	87833  

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/26 Posts

Re: Unable to sex guinea pigs and the vet hasn't returned my calls

Just guessing, not an expert...I think the first may be a girl. Can't tell on the second.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    542 Rec'd/456 Posts

I am completely certain the first one is the a girl, the second one the photo is too far away to tell for sure.

However if you run your finger back and forth just above the genitals you will be able to see if you can feel a firm line just under the skin. Male guinea pigs have a bone in their penis and this can be felt quite easily, it will be even easier as you have a confirmed female to compare to. Females don't have anything there, they are just soft and squishy with no line, as they don't have a bone there.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210502_213224.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	87834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210502_213250.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	87835

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    542 Rec'd/456 Posts

That one, the one with the cream belly is the certain girl. It is the one with the black and orange belly that I can't say for certain.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Alright good to know. Does it look like there's a chance that she's pregnant though? If so id appreciate any advice regarding diet/cage changes, etc.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

For some reason my message prior to that didn't post. Waddles (the girl), is all squish there but Matcha definitely does have a hard ridge thing.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    542 Rec'd/456 Posts

She doesn't look obviously pregnant, but that doesn't really mean much. Have a read of this thread https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...r-along-is-she

If she is under 6 months of age her diet would be the same regardless of if she is pregnant or not, young guinea pigs and pregnant guinea pigs both need an additional source of calcium in their diet, this can be the addition of a high calcium vegetables, OR a high quality young guinea pig pellet (brands we recommend are Oxbow or KMS), OR some alfalfa hay mixed in with their regular hay (at roughly 30-40% alfalfa to 70-60% regular grass hay). You only need to chose one of those three options.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Yeah unfortunately I didn't get an approximate age but was told they're still babies. I will try the alfalfa though. Update for tonight is that Waddles is definitely eating and drinking a lot more,

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

Here's something that may help: http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm.

But if they're not the same, separate them NOW. Pregnancy and delivery are very hard on guinea pig sows, and the death rate for both sows and pups is high. Additionally, she can get pregnant again within minutes of giving birth, whether she delivers naturally or has a miscarriage. That second pregnancy is VERY hard on both the sow and the second litter of pups. You definitely don't want to run that risk.

11. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Hi so i wasn't able to reply to the last post and now it isnt letting me see the last post so I'll just reply here.
    They're both definitely female, Waddles has a vulva and now Matcha has elongated teats. I noticed a furless circle by her hindleg where they should be when I first got them but now they've both enlarged/elongated. They aren't red and don't seem to be painful because she's behaving like her normal, bratty, self - besides not wanting to be held. They both feel like they're getting heavier so that's a plus (that they're probably healthy), they were both really light when I first got them. I haven't really noticed anything weird with Waddles but I'm still keeping an eye on both, especially now that Matcha's nips have elongated. I have added alfalfa hay though and Matcha goes crazy for it and starts wheeking when she hears the bag open.

editing to add: i got them almost two weeks ago now so I think if it was estrus they would've gone down awhile ago? She's not being aggressive and is actually pretty cuddly when she does let me hold her and has been playing a lot more, especially with Waddles. The poops and food/drinking habits are normal, havent seen any sus urine either. I did just glance over at their cage and saw only Waddles was out and Matcha is napping which is weird because they're both always up causing a ruckus until 2AM usually lol
    Last edited by Tarotfox; 05-08-21 at 07:31 pm.

User Tag List