Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Ants!!!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Over the last few days, we've gained quite a bit of ants in our house. My sister blames all the rain. We've always had an unkillable fire ant population in our yard. In my bedroom, they look more like regular black ants. I am extremely worried they will get in the pig cages. The pigs only have poop and hay most of the time. I put down some Terro bait but don't/can't use chemicals due to all my aquariums in this room as well. I have tried to see where the ants are coming in from, but haven't found it yet. Any ideas? Will the pigs be fine?

One cage is on a folding table off the floor, and the other is under that table. I could get another table if needed (rather not due to $) to help.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
The piggies might eat the ants. I've seen that done with our late piggy, Honey. I am sure it's ok if they eat a little bit but not too much.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I also have aquariums, what I do is use surface spray only, and pick a brand that has a very direct spray (the less spread the better as it means less is going into the air). You can also make sure the aquariums are covered (even with a blanket or towel if it is a completely uncovered aquarium), and temporarily turn off air pumps if you are very concerned. I've used this spray on the ground right next to a 4ft aquarium on a stand with zero ill effect on the shrimp or fish in the tank. Track the trail as far as I can and lightly spray where it looks like they might be coming in. Then I also go outside and see if I can see any obvious trails or holes outside and if I can I drop some ant powder down there.

On a side note I have also had the house sprayed several times for white ants while having aquariums that it would be impractical to move. I asked the pest control man and he says he uses spray safe for pets, but I would still play it safe with my aquariums. In these cases I would wrap the top of the tank in glad wrap, then tape the wrap down with masking tape, then put a quilt over the top and turn off the air pumps, I would leave the filters and heaters running but leave the lights off. After the guy was done spraying I would open all windows in the house and turn all fans on, then wait for about 4-6 hours until uncovering and unwrapping the tanks. All of my tanks have made it through the white ant spraying every single time with no losses, even the marine aquarium and the cherry shrimps when I used to keep those.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I'm extra hesitant to spray because I have a crayfish...and apparently the pesticide can be even more deadly to inverts. I have 12 aquariums. I have covered my tanks with towels when I had an apartment, but that was back in the days of just 1 tank.

I traced the ants back to a hole in my closet. It is an interior closet. There is no obvious/easy way they could be coming from outside. Luckily it is across the room from the pigs. I placed Terro (which has borax) and it seems to be handling them, or least keeping them in my closet. I also placed ant granules around the house, but due it raining and needing the lawn mowed, we can't do our entire yard.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
The rain brings them out of the ground to the surface and it sounds like they found a place to go in your closet. We had a similar experience a few years ago with heavy summer rains. We're in a bi-level and the ants we coming in under the steps, across the living room carpet, and into the kitchen. Terro did the trick.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.