Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Pulled out a clump of hair when picking up guinea pig

• Thread starter totallynotabird
  • Start date

totallynotabird

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! We adopted one of our piggies, Reimi, a little over a year ago. She's always shed a lot and would frequently leave my clothes in a light layer of shed fur whenever I cuddled with her for a while; we never really worried about it because that seemed normal for her. Today, I picked her up from her habitat, and she tried to run away as usual, but this time she screamed as I picked her up and a giant clump of fur came off of her. Now there's a bald spot on her back! I feel so bad for her; I don't think I picked her up or grabbed her in any unusual way! She seems to be doing fine and I put her back and she's running around and exploring like she usually does, but I'm scared. She has also been acting mean and fighting with one of her sisters recently, so is this something that we should be scared about? Here are 2 pictures of where she lost the hair:

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Did the hair have what appeared to be bits of skin attached to the clump? Do you have a picture of the hair clump?

totallynotabird

Cavy Slave
Did the hair have what appeared to be bits of skin attached to the clump? Do you have a picture of the hair clump?

No, I don't think so! I don't have a picture of the hair as I got rid of it before I thought to take pictures, but I definitely didn't notice anything like that; just an unusually large amount of fur.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm wondering if it may not have something to do with ovarian cysts. That's what it sounds like to me.

totallynotabird

Cavy Slave
I'm wondering if it may not have something to do with ovarian cysts. That's what it sounds like to me.
Hmm, yes, I did read about that and was considering it. Though, I read it usually happens to senior guinea pigs, and Reimi is just a bit over 2 years old...

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're most common in sows aged 2-4 years, and studies have found them in 76% of guinea pigs aged 1.5 to 5 years.

I'm not saying it's definitely ovarian cysts. I've never had sows. But hair loss on the flanks and aggression with cagemates, if I remember correctly, are some of the symptoms.

totallynotabird

Cavy Slave
They're most common in sows aged 2-4 years, and studies have found them in 76% of guinea pigs aged 1.5 to 5 years.

I'm not saying it's definitely ovarian cysts. I've never had sows. But hair loss on the flanks and aggression with cagemates, if I remember correctly, are some of the symptoms.

Ah, shoot. I guess I should schedule a vet appointment, then. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.