Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Building a new cage

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Hello! I want to build my guinea pigs a new cage now, but I had some questions.
So right now my cage is small for two guinea pigs. Also the lid of the cage is getting in the way of seeing my pigs. So my plan is to build a wooden cage with a plexiglass front. My measurements right now are 5 ft my 2.5 ft. Is this a good size for two female guinea pigs?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your size is ok. Your building materials, however, are not as good. Wood is a poor choice for a cage because it is difficult, if not impossible to keep clean. Urine will soak into the wood and you will find out very quickly that it isn't a great choice.

Plexiglass is also not a good choice, although it CAN be used as a deterrent in places where the pigs have decided to chew the bars. Guinea pigs are prone to upper respiratory infections and as such, need good airflow through their cage. Plexiglass, or any other solid material, will stifle that airflow and possibly lead to chronic illnesses for your pigs.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
I was going to use waterproof wood with chloroplast on the sides. Also the plexiglass would just be on one side, should I change this? My cage won't have a lid.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Why don't you go with a standard c&c cage? This site (the actual shop part) sells plexiglass portions. You could look at that page to get some ideas.

Wouldn't pigs be interested in chewing on the wood?

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
I guess, My guinea pigs are not really into chewing on wood, I'm looking into c and c cages now!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.