Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Possibly pregnant?

earthchild

Cavy Gazer
Hi all!
I bought Blossom & Bloom home a week and 4 days ago from a pet store (poor research and planning on my part!) and I think Bloom might be pregnant but I'm not sure hence asking for advise on this forum. I'm new to this forum so I'm still getting the hang of it. Blossom & Bloom are 10 weeks old so they're only babies so it's quite worrying if Bloom is actually pregnant. She's too young to even have babies she's only a baby herself. I'm wondering if she is pregnant then she was obviously mated by her litter brother. But when I picked them up Blossom and Bloom were on their own. I've been doing a lot of researching and male babies are sexually active as early as 8-9 weeks old! Crazy! What makes me think Bloom could be pregnant is that her belly has gotten quite big in the short space that we have had her. It sort of looks like it's bulging. It's not like I'm feeding them loads either. Im feeding them just as I've been told. Blossom looks completely normal where as Bloom's belly looks completely different. I might be being over dramatic here and just assuming the worst. But I'd rather assume she's pregnant then not so I can give her and potential babies a surviving chance. I know how Guinea Pig pregnancy can be very dangerous and risky especially when they're so young. I'm going to take Blossom and Bloom to the vets next week to make sure they're both okay and to obviously see if Bloom pregnant or not. It might even be too early to tell yet. I've never had baby Guinea Pigs before let alone pregnant pigs. Blossom & Bloom are my first girls so I have no idea on how to care for a pregnant Guinea Pig (if she is pregnant that is) so advise would be greatly appreciated.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Wait, so is Bloom a female and Blossum a male or are they both females? Do you have any photos? Bringing them to a vet would be a good idea, they can usually tell if a guinea pig is pregnant or not.

earthchild

Cavy Gazer
Wait, so is Bloom a female and Blossum a male or are they both females? Do you have any photos? Bringing them to a vet would be a good idea, they can usually tell if a guinea pig is pregnant or not.
Bloom & Blossom are sisters & yeah I think you’re right. I’m going to take them both next week

earthchild

Cavy Gazer
I’m very new to this forum only registered today so I wouldn’t know how to show you a picture of the guinea pigs

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
I’m very new to this forum only registered today so I wouldn’t know how to show you a picture of the guinea pigs
There is an insert image button three from the right.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Male guinea pigs can impregnate a female at about 3.5 weeks of age, never mind 8-9 weeks. And baby sows can get pregnant around four weeks or shortly thereafter.

Are you positive they're both females? You've turned them both over and compared their private parts?

If your pig is pregnant, she'll need the same thing all young pigs need, plus some supplemental vitamin C. She needs good quality hay and pellets, a calcium source, and some veggies -- red or green leaf lettuce and bell pepper to start with, then you can add others. See the link below for recommendations.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
And here's info on pregnancy: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

earthchild

Cavy Gazer
Male guinea pigs can impregnate a female at about 3.5 weeks of age, never mind 8-9 weeks. And baby sows can get pregnant around four weeks or shortly thereafter.

Are you positive they're both females? You've turned them both over and compared their private parts?

If your pig is pregnant, she'll need the same thing all young pigs need, plus some supplemental vitamin C. She needs good quality hay and pellets, a calcium source, and some veggies -- red or green leaf lettuce and bell pepper to start with, then you can add others. See the link below for recommendations.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
And here's info on pregnancy: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she
Oh wow I didn’t know males could get a female pregnant as early as 3.5 weeks! Yeah they’re both females the pet shop informed us they were & I have a family friend who has had a lot of experience working with guinea pigs & she had a look for me and agreed that they were both females. Molly’s sexed all her guinea pigs and the guinea pigs at her work and she’s always right. Thank you for all your advise I really appreciate it! Next week I’m taking both girls to see a vet so hopefully we’ll find out for certain! X

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Never. never. never. take the word of a pet shop clerk for whether a guinea pig is male or female. We've had many a pregnant "male" and many a "female" who has impregnated cagemates whose sex been guaranteed by a pet store clerk.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.