Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Compressed hay?

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Hello! As guinea pig owners may know, hay tends to go EVERYWHERE! When I was shopping for more Timothy hay, I encountered (broken link removed) compressed hay bales. Is this okay to feed my guinea pigs?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
It's probably fine to feed, being made by Oxbow. However, I never understood the purpose. For that price I can buy a bag of the normal Oxbow hay I use. I'd also be skeptical of it 'working' or being useful for me.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I got these on a promotion once when they first came out, they came free with a big bag of hay. It was several years ago. Pooper and Sly LOVED them.

But if you're going to buy them to avoid a mess, forget it. They absolutely obliterated them and it gets everywhere anyway. I believe I have some pictures of them demolishing their Stax if you're interested in seeing what I mean.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Oh ok. I just wanted to try something different because the hay that I usually buy is not available anymore.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Oh ok. I just wanted to try something different because the hay that I usually buy is not available anymore.

I'd probably just start experimenting with normal bags of timothy hay. I'm not much of a 'gimmick' fan.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I have a pack of Oxbow compressed hay and as [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION] said, it makes a mess. I bought it for the times I bring the piggies to the office and thought it would be more contained. But no, it is actually worse. They are very small pieces and just gets everywhere. I also have hay cubes and same thing. The funny thing is that I used to keep my big box of hay at the office. So really didn't need to bring in any special compressed or cubes of hay. Will just stay with regular hay once the compressed and cubes are used up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.