Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Are my guinea pigs acting spoiled or is this hay actually bad?

MomoPrincess

Cavy Slave
Hello, I am having bit of a trouble with the hay. I bought american diner (timothy gold hay) and my guinea pigs loved it. I bought a box from there a month ago and majority of the hay was brown and it's probably due to the weather. I decided to try out the american diner (timothy high fiber hay) hoping it would be greener than the timothy gold hay one. I just recieved the hay box today and it was definitely more greener than timothy gold hay but the hay strands were very long, thick, and firm. The guinea pigs aren't really enjoying it... Are they just have been spoiled with soft hay? Or is the hay actually just bad?

Here is the picture of the current hay:
timothy high fiber hay.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The hay isn't bad, but it may take a while for the pigs to get used to it. First or second cut hay actually does a better job keeping the teeth ground down than the softer third cut.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Mine does the same thing. As Bpatters said, hay varies based on the cutting. Right now the Oxbow Timothy I have is thick strands and fuzzy tops. So I mixed in some Kaytee Timothy, which is shorter pieces and greener. I also have orchard grass which is softer. She keeps going through the hay pile picking out the best.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.