Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where to Order? Probiotic recommendation

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
My dog decided he wanted to eat the pigs' tube of Bene-bac, which we got from a vet I refuse to return to. Anyone know if Benebac can be bought w/o going to a vet, or if there is a recommended OTC probiotic gel? My pigs loved the Bene-bac and happily ate it. I saw Benebac on Petco's site but the tube looks nothing like the one I had.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Benebac CAN be purchased over the counter. I've always gotten mine in the gel form that's like a big syringe from Amazon. You can also purchase the 1lb tub which I think goes a lot farther, but has to be mixed.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Most pet stores also sell it, but usually in powder form. I always used the big syringe from Amazon.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Yeah I had the tube...or whatever you want to call the one with the spinny top. It said Benebac but was green with drawn pictures of dogs/cats. I already pitched the container since my dog thought it was SO tasty even tho its been sitting on the floor next to the pigs' cage since I got it in February.

The probiotic I had for Bruin from our regular vet was powder. That worked well, but the pigs happily eat the gel right from the tube.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
It came in the mail yesterday and Little Bear/Gimbly love it. I don't really know how much to be giving them (tiny amount obviously) and they really love it. They try to yank the tube from me.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I always gave my boys 1 gram/day. So I believe it's one click, per pig. Its 15 1 gram doses if I remember correctly

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.