Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Question Cloudy Urine?

I just got two young guinea pigs about 3 weeks ago. They are maybe 4 months-ish old. The vet told me they were babies. This is my first time ever owning them and while Iíve researched, I am still unsure about a lot of things. One of my guinea pigs has cloudy whitish urine. I read that it could possibly be too much calcium. I tried to research which vegetables are high in calcium and limit them. Iíve mostly been giving them romaine, leafy greens and red lettuce. I do give them a little bit of green peppers as well. Maybe twice a week or so Iíll give them something that has just a little more calcium in there. My question is, do I need to take them to the vet again for the cloudy urine? How do I manage their calcium intake and keep it balanced? I appreciate any help!

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

Re: Cloudy Urine?

All young pigs have cloudy urine, and yes, it's caused by calcium. However, they need calcium for teeth and bones, so we don't usually worry about their calcium intake until they're about six months of age.

I'd avoid romaine. It has no more calcium than other lettuces, but it causes excess calcium excretion in some pigs. Not in all, but it's not worth taking the chance that it may be your pig.

They need pepper, or another vitamin C source, every day, not just occasionally.

Check the Diet and Nutrition forum -- there's lots of information there.

Mentioned
    623 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1200 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,647 Rec'd/1,354 Posts

Re: Cloudy Urine?

You might find these charts from Guinea Lynx have just the information you're seeking.

http://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

User Tag List