Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Treats Change to Oxbow Veggie treats?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hi All! I still pop in to see what’s going on every once in a while. Recently Oxbow changed the size and thickness of their veggie treats? Does anyone know if they changed the ingredients or formulation of those ingredients at the same time?

I ask because Bacon (3.75yo neutered boar) suddenly developed bladder stones including one in his ureter which got larger over a 3 week period. I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure what may suddenly be causing the stones?

The only change was in the Oxbow treats and I was already breaking them into smaller pieces both with the old and new treats b/c even before the size increase one treat is too big for a guinea pig. As far as I know his cage mate has not developed any bladder stones.

Any insight is appreciated!

Demiba

Cavy Slave
I am also intersted in the responses you get. My piggy had cloudy urine and the only thing I could think of is the Oxbow treats. I use the Bell Pepper ones

Rywen

Cavy Slave
My two only like the oxbow veggie treat ones. They aren’t getting them for now, not until I rule them out as the cause of Bacon’s bladder stones.

Bacon’s vet managed to get the stone out of his ureter on Thursday, and his kidney wasn’t damaged from the ureter being mostly blocked, so that was good news. He is home now and surprisingly (for such a major surgery) almost back to normal behavior.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.