Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Penicillin G Injections

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Hi all.

Dealing with my sweet boy Smokey who has had eye crust and a cloudy eye.

I was prescribed eye medicine and shots of Penicillin G. They gave him one at the vet and I am supposed to give 13 more.

Than I went online and was scared.

His eating was going down but now is worse. Out comes the critical care and bene-bac.

The vet I went to is an exotic vet.

Just scared to give it to him but am desperate for him to get better.

His poop is small and the last good poop I think he had was at the vets.

Anybody ever given a cavy this shot? Should I demand something else?

I dont know what to do.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry this answer is so short, but I am on the road and I felt compelled to answer.

DO NOT give him any more shots of penicillin.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Penicillin is toxic to guinea pigs. Hopefully there is another exotic vet close to you because I sure would not go back to the one who gave your pig penicillin. Continue with the eye medication, and absolutely give him the bene bac and feed him the critical care.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks. This has been hard as heck.
I posted in another forum and had different responses which leaves me just more confused.

Welcome! When given orally it will usually kill guinea pigs, injections however do not go through the digestive system and cannot destroy the good bacteria, causing the fatal enterotoxemia and so are considered safe, albeit not the first port of call. I know of a few piggies who have been successfully treated with injections of penicillin, and have had them offered for one of my own should the treatment we initially tried not have worked.

One of my rabbits was poorly a few months ago and her and her cagemate both needed treatment (transmissible illness). The vet explained that the only option for treating it was penicillin but that it would be injected as oral penicillin cannot be given to rabbits or guinea pigs but injected was ok and in this case had to be done if the illness bacteria was to be killed effectively.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
I wonder if the advice in the end was not bad?
I found a few people who have been successful with "bad" penicillin as an injection.
Feel stupid for not trying it sooner

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How is your pig doing?

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks for asking @Guinepigpapa
Weight is going down some. Max- 2lb 11oz when sickness really started 2lb 8 oz touched two pounds 6 oz at times.
Eye looks like crap and have 3 different treatments.
Went to another vet and got Baytril which has proved useless.
He is eating on his own but having to boost him with Critical Care and Bene-Bac.
Regret in a way knowing Penicillin was bad because he could have been better by now had I just gave him the shots:-(
I have another appt with new vet tomorrow and still have one with the old vet as a backup.
If I get crap tomorrow I am doing the shots.

Just really wishing in a way I would have just gave the shots.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Whatever antibiotic a pig takes, it will more than likely affect their eating habits. Rare is a pig that can take an antibiotic and not have difficulties eating, and keeping weight on.

Some are better than others, just as some pigs are better with antibiotics than others. One pig I had was intolerant to every antibiotic I gave him, until we found one that was perfect.

Supplementing him with Critical Care and Bene Bac is definitely the right thing to do.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks Papa.
Just feel like a bad owner and should have listened to the 1st vet especially since he is an Exotic- (broken link removed)
The darn Google scared me to bad choices :-(

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Penicillin IS toxic to guinea pigs. Apparently injections are tolerable, but it's still not something I would give my pig. There are much better alternatives for pigs out there. Baytril is a powerful antibiotic but it's definitely hard on a guinea pigs stomach.

I've had some VERY good luck with Azithromycin. I'm not sure it would have saved Punkin even if we had tried it in time but it DID save Scooter. It was also given to my fairly recent boy Simon who had a very stubborn sinus infection caused by water up his nose. Baytril and Bactrim both failed with that, but Azithromycin won.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks @papa. I feel somewhat better based upon what you said.
He did have two shots and was going to do the full round today but will wait till the one vet appt tomorrow.
I am 100% bring up the Azithromycin. If this is an abcess of some sort do u have any other recommendations?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't see it being an abscess. If it were possible, could you post a clear, well lit photo of his eye? I've not had any experience with eye issues, but plenty of our members here have.

Good possibility that someone has input relevant to your boy Smokey's issue.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
I have attached a pic. Didnt clean because he is eating and tht is always good.

Attachments

PXL_20210421_230249306.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It looks like a hay poke to me. Hopefully someone else will come along and confirm, or offer a different observation.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks again Papa. Been using multiple eye treatments. He had a snotty nose as well and that when this all started and how I ended up here.
I can see a white nodule if I pull back his eye lid.
Somewhat feeling better too in that he was 2lb 6.9oz this morning and have him up to 2 7.5 right now.
I was ready and even had a needle loaded had he not ate today as choice is penicillin shot and the risk there or likely death I would have done it

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A word of caution about their weights. You'll only drive yourself crazy weighing him multiple times a day, because it WILL fluctuate.

While he is ill, I would weigh no more than once a day, first thing in the morning before breakfast. I have been where you are, multiple times with ill pigs. And that's what I did. Once I learned to be calm, and not obsessively weigh them I was much more satisfied with what I was seeing.

I do see that you're using lbs and ounces. A MUCH more accurate way of weighing him would be with a digital kitchen scale that measures in grams. 28 grams is an ounce.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
True/ My scale doesn't do grams, unfortunately. My formal weight time is 11PM at night and just noticed he was a little more sluggish so checked again this morning and was like time to eat.
Gave him 10ml of critical care and than the rest he gained himself thankfully.
My last piggy passed away in OCT and I was hand feeding him 80 to 100ml a day and lost that fight :-( I miss my Zack.

Do not like the fact that he vibrates for me still when I rub him but he squeaks now.
He has pain killer and gave him it in the morning.

Baytril dust has not had a good record of success with me back than or now.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
True/ My scale doesn't do grams, unfortunately. My formal weight time is 11PM at night and just noticed he was a little more sluggish so checked again this morning and was like time to eat.
Gave him 10ml of critical care and than the rest he gained himself thankfully.
My last piggy passed away in OCT and I was hand feeding him 80 to 100ml a day and lost that fight :-( I miss my Zack.

Do not like the fact that he vibrates for me still when I rub him but he squeaks now.
He has pain killer and gave him it in the morning.

Baytril dust has not had a good record of success with me back than or now.

I have a few threads here, about three pigs I've had. One with chronic dental issues, and two young boys who got sick and the same time, critically ill. I lost all three of those fights, and the last one suddenly and very painfully.

I know how you feel.

We are all, always here to help. Keep us updated on how Smokey is doing and don't hesitate to ask a question.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks Papa.
I think with Cavies it hurts in a weird way more. They are so fragile and innocent.
Sorry you went through that bud.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just a quick note to ask how Smokey is doing?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.