Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Penicillin G Injections

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I never figured that they would steal my heart they way they do, either. Now here I am 11 years later.

I may have told you this already, but Sly's surgeries started when he was 5, and continued on a regular basis until 3 months before his 7th birthday when we lost him. Some surgeries were harder on him than others, and I had a bad feeling that his last one WOULD be his last. He was very elderly at that point, and he just did not recover fully.

This is Smokey's first. Surgery IS a risk, as it is for ever living creature. It's the anesthesia that is a big risk. The odds are in yours' and Smokeys' favour. I know that does little to alleviate the tension. At this point you just have to have faith.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks Papa. I really appreciate that.
Now I am debating yet again. He was eating a carrot and it got caught.
I started reviewing the surgery quotes and specialized is cheaper across the board minus the actual procedure. I am going to call them tomorrow and I may switch and go with them as I still think 796 an hour is crazy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@heftysmurf, it may help to think about it some other way than a per hour rate. No question most vets make quite a bit of money. But they see lots of animals that just require check-ups and vaccinations. Others, like your pig, needs expensive equipment and meds, and they have to maintain that stock no matter how infrequently they use it. A huge chunk of that money is going to support the clinic's specialty treatments, not directly into the vet's pocket.

It's kind of like people complaining about how expensive a hospital room is versus a motel room. Well, yeah. But if you're a cardiac patient who needs intensive care, who in that cheap motel will care for you? And where is all the equipment? And how is it maintained and sterilized? Et cetera, ...

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks @bpatters. I think medical services is way out of line. Blame the ama.
It's just on that quote it really stands out. 796 an hour is 1.6 million a year. I know he doesn't make that but seems a bit high to me. The rest of the charges xray anethstesia etc are high but fair and that maintains those items. It is what it is. I have the 1200 wow one scheduled Friday but may so the other one as well. Papa send to like them but they did something that made me angry and i even said something. I called 3 times. One voicemail two humans and begged for meta cam and a surgery quote. Never once a call back. Called the other place had it the next day.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Whichever clinic you decide, I wish the best for Smokey's recovery.

Since both estimates are just that - estimates, I would choose the clinic with the vet who seemed the most capable and caring. The clinic with the surgery estimate of $796 listed the hourly rate. However, the actual surgery may not take an hour. I don't know how complicated this procedure is, but when our dog had dental surgery, the vet charged by the minute to remove teeth. The actual surgery time was less than 30 minutes to extract 14 teeth. The whole process was longer but the vet techs did the prep, cleaning, and recovery.

It doesn't matter about the surgeon's income, but it isn't really $1.6 million per year. They don't do surgeries 40 hours per week. Most clinics set aside 2-3 hours a few days a week for surgeries. The techs do the prep and finish up. The surgeon comes in, does the actual surgery, and then moves on to the next surgery. So multiple surgeries are overlapped and completed in just a few hours.

Although you had a bad customer service experience with one clinic, that was probably the staff and not the surgeon. If you feel that surgeon is the most capable, consider going with that clinic for the best outcome.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks that helps. I know they don't make that but it's a good point. I am tossed between the two vets now. The set fees are higher with one over the more expensive one but the surgery fee can be variable. They both cared. Authorized care for more money from me trying more exotic thinks like the plasma which didn't work. The dr was caring. The other place the techs and the sr were cool and i could tell she felt bad about the estimate. I really don't know who is best tbh. The surgeon at all creatures had a rabbit. The other vet dura assume work at the aquarium. I don't know who would be best. Can you think of any other criteria i should consider?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Thanks that helps. I know they don't make that but it's a good point. I am tossed between the two vets now. The set fees are higher with one over the more expensive one but the surgery fee can be variable. They both cared. Authorized care for more money from me trying more exotic thinks like the plasma which didn't work. The dr was caring. The other place the techs and the sr were cool and i could tell she felt bad about the estimate. I really don't know who is best tbh. The surgeon at all creatures had a rabbit. The other vet dura assume work at the aquarium. I don't know who would be best. Can you think of any other criteria i should consider?

If it were me, my focus is how smart/capable the doctors are and how good the customer service is. Money is kind of a factor, but it really boils down to the smarts/kindness of the people. I'm lucky to have found a clinic with all these things and good pricing. Our other regular vet (one that happens to have a TV show) has smarts/kindness but their prices are outrageous ($105 for an exam). I would also consider which vet the pet has been to most/has the best relationship with.

As for the pricing, idk. I've been told for my dog that an eye removal could be $1400 and up. I never did get a quote for Little Bear for eye removal, but I'll see if I remember to do that at our appt today (assuming the doctor would even agree to give a quote, since I don't think eye removal for us is necessary at this point). I do work at a vet, but we only don't do these surgeries so idk how "accurate" the pricing is. But an estimate is an estimate, keep in mind it can go up or down depending on what happens.

You should apply for Carecredit if you haven't, just be sure to pay the balance before the interest hits after 6 months.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
I apologize for all the typos I don't have a good client for forums. I really appreciate the input. The main differences to me is how this whole thing started. I was upset about the penicillin injections and was hard to get communication with them. The no call back after the messages with techs where i never got a call back had me tainted a bit. Now all creatures had a way far out surgery in June but asked and the moved up. The quotes are weird in that dental on one (good) and a real e collar vs the made up one i got at specialized care. These are the two vets
https://www.allcreaturesanimalhospital.org/staff/dr-hyo-seon-sunny-pan
It's dr Carl (broken link removed)
He seems decent today. He was running around his cage when i woke up and weight is holding at 2lb 6 oz + . He ends up over 2lb 7ozv at bed time.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Think i am switching and you are right papa. The fasting advice. The said no food since midnight before surgery which is wrong.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Man I wonder now. he has some pink pea I noticed. Is it maybe a kidney stoen taht is really causing the pain? I know I am feeding him bad right now but I feeling bad about cooking his eye as even without the blinking it doesnt look too bad and he has been up over 2lb 7 oz all day long today

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pink pee could be caused simply by something he's eaten. Is it pink when it's fresh, or does it turn reddish after its dried? If that's the case when it's dried, it's fairly normal.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Stay kinda pink. I know his diet has been garbage as I just want him to eat. Just trying to think of anything to prevent eye loss and would sick of he is still in pain after. Think i am super scared and feeling bad.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Re-review. This is driving me crazy.
I am going with the second one all-creatures for a few reasons. One. Customer service is better. That three calls when Smokey was in pain with no calls or help. All creatures had it the next day. When I spoke today the front office lady had a cat and a horse with one eye and told me a lot about recovery. Two found out that email was automated and said to keep feeding smokey "said you are right". Speaking to IT team about those automated emails. 3 When I called they said they would look at teeth 4 What they want to do is actually more extensive. They want all the x-rays (5) and than are forwarding for a second opinion to a vet radiologist. 5 They do these surgeries often for everything from bearded dragons etc and from what I am reading this is not a crazy surgery. 6 They have extended hours and so even though the other joint has emergency hours the only real gap is Sunday and I am still technically a customer iof I needed them that day. Emergency times=charge more vs being open.
I finally understand the surgery bills and man if I had not had OCD on this I would be blind. Also a huge thanks to everybody on this thread. I feel much more informed.
In irony i dont think he has much infection if any at all just cant blink and only slight pain. His weight was 2lb 7oz this morning which is great.

Maybe scared maybe thinking too much as I do have two vets recommend the same thing. I almost dont want him to have surgery as he seems somewhat better

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Man I am going nuts. I am so scared now with the surgery.
I called all creatures and its an extra 84 bucks if he needs extensive tooth work.
I am now once again debating between the two.
So so scared for my little buddy.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Man, I know how you feel. I have been there so many times and the anxiety just makes you feel sick to your stomach.

I know it's easier said than done, but take it from someone who's been there A LOT in the last 5 years. Relax. Your anxiety won't do him any good and it won't do YOU any good either. There's nothing I can really say to alleviate it, but just know that there are literally THOUSANDS of pigs out there that have gone through the same thing, and been just fine. Settle down, take a deep breath, give Smokey some cuddles and get him looked after. Before you know it he'll be much, much better, and so too will you be.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Change yet again. I am listening to @papa . The one difference I really see is it is much more advance at the specialized place. lots of pain management, electro cuatery which I think means no stitches.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Electrocautery just means they use a electrical current to stop bleeding. It's used in almost every surgery.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
I did not know that thank you.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Scared. Surgery at at Specialized care for avian and exotic vets tomorrow.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He's going to be just fine. Spend lots of time with him today and tonight, give him cuddles and maybe he'll take your mind off things. I guarantee you that you are more worried about it than he is.

When it's all over and done with, he'll feel better after he recovers, and you'll feel better about it too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.