Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Penicillin G Injections

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
It looks a little wet because I also have Optixcare eye lube I use in his eye and clean up any crust. He doesnt blink the eye so try to keep it moist with the drops and ointments. I have been trying everything I can get my hands on. I really appreciate the interest Jake. I really care for my little buddy. PXL_20210518_194903009.jpg

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
So he can't blink? Little Bear also has eyelid paralysis, on one side. And we also went to an All Creatures (in Texas, surely not related) that wanted his eye removed. L Bear seems to be ok with daily eye drops. Been doing it for 3 months I think.

Surgery is scary...which is why I haven't pursued it. But LBear seems okay like this. His eye isn't cloudy like this tho. He just has vataracts.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
He is in a way seems better but he winces sometimes indicating pain. Hence been loading him with Metacam and why I think of surgery. That is really good to know @4boipigs. Funny same name, same suggestion.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just a word about e-collars. They prevent a pig from eating its cecal poops, and can cause major digestive upsets. If the eye is so damaged that they're considering removing it, there's really no reason for the collar. If he scratches the eye, it doesn't seem a big deal to me.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I have not been using it as he is not messing with it now. As nasty as it was fed him poop and bena bac

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Well went back to specialized care.
The nerves are shot around his eye so its drops forever and some pain or this surgery.
They can do the surgery tomorrow vs next month but man big price discrepancy.
Stunned at the surgery cost of the bill for the one.
Wanted any thought you fine folks may have and thanks. 1st one is all creatures. Second is Specialized care 16215225534427978685459938557587.jpg16215223422758944226092502230451.jpg
The items I circled he said I could not do. Makes me wonder if I can do that at all creatures and get the cost down a bit.
Also noticed they include a legit e-collar vs the one the made at specialized care.
Thanks again for your help and support

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't understand what you mean by circled means you couldn't do.

I'd be more inclined to go with the specialized care. Not only for the eye, because it's specialized but because of another item noted on the specialized care that isn't on the other one.

Dental Care.

If his molars are overgrown and need to be trimmed, ONLY an exotic vet can do this. DO NOT trust anyone else to attempt it. Part of the reason he likely needs his teeth trimmed is because he isn't eating enough on his own, and critical care won't wear his teeth down the way hay does. I'm not in the least surprised that he needs it and quite frankly I'm surprised at myself for not bring that up to you. I had meant to, and neglected it. If they can do the surgery tomorrow plus the teeth trim, do it. It will get him on the road to recovery MUCH faster the sooner you do it.

My vet once told me, "A month is a long time in the life of a guinea pig." And if you consider their sleep/wake cycles and their lifespan, a month for us is like a year to them. Another month of pain is like a year to Smokey.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks Papa. They dont have to do those items stating they are not 100% necessary and he had a point about the teeth. It may be too much at once for him and his teeth were not that bad.
Good point about the pain and why I am tossed.
This is getting to the limits of what I can pay which sucks.
Doing some further math I am thinking of calling all creatures and seeing if a sooner appt is available and if I can get rid of the xrays as I really dont see the point and they seem out of line with the review cost on top.
If I did no xrays and teeth with both it would be 706 vs 1120.
That surgery charge seems WAY out of line at 728.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
I don't understand what you mean by circled means you couldn't do.

I'd be more inclined to go with the specialized care. Not only for the eye, because it's specialized but because of another item noted on the specialized care that isn't on the other one.

Dental Care.

If his molars are overgrown and need to be trimmed, ONLY an exotic vet can do this. DO NOT trust anyone else to attempt it. Part of the reason he likely needs his teeth trimmed is because he isn't eating enough on his own, and critical care won't wear his teeth down the way hay does. I'm not in the least surprised that he needs it and quite frankly I'm surprised at myself for not bring that up to you. I had meant to, and neglected it. If they can do the surgery tomorrow plus the teeth trim, do it. It will get him on the road to recovery MUCH faster the sooner you do it.

My vet once told me, "A month is a long time in the life of a guinea pig." And if you consider their sleep/wake cycles and their lifespan, a month for us is like a year to them. Another month of pain is like a year to Smokey.

You make a very good point about the dental care.

Do you think that surgery cost is out of line at 796?

Do you think I can bale on the xrays?

That makes them a bit closer in cost.

Thanks.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The xrays would likely be necessary for the teeth, and if his teeth aren't that bad and it isn't critical then the xrays would be unnecessary. As far as other charges, everything looks to be about in line with a lot of what I have seen. They are similar to the charges that Sly had for his first dental trim, but they are more. My vet also decreased the cost of his surgeries as time went on, because Sly's trims became more and more frequent.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks papa so it's like 2 for one. Teeth likely need xray. Just surprised the anesthesia cost more at all creatures and that surgery charge being insane for specialized care. I just called all creatures they are booked out to July now for surgery and i asked if xrays really needed and if teeth can be trimmed during surgery. Surprised also that all creatures had real e collars and when i went to specialized care they made one.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Intense. All creatures called me back. They moved it to nest Friday and said on the xrays teeth she would look 1st before doing either. Confused on what to do

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
So upset right now. Asked my wife if i should wait a week and try to save money or do it tomorrow and she said euthanasia. So upset right now ug.
I am still doing a or b. Heck with her.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I am so sorry you're in this position. We are here no matter what you do.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks papa and all. Think i am going to do all creatures next Friday. I don't care what my wife thinks at this point on this.
The main reason i am thinking this is besides economics. They were responsive. And the economic part to me is that surgery charge. That 896 an hour equates to 1.6 million a year. That is a little wrong.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Surgery is scary. So worried. Ug. Trying to fatten smokey up for Friday.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
I am startiung to wonder about other options. I am REALLY scared of the surgery and its not the cost as obviously it is expensive. Has anybody had success? Are there any other option? I feel terrible being at this step and feel like a bad owner. I just want the best for him. Ug I hate this.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I believe you already have the options. Surgery, or drops and some pain for the rest of his life. There have been pigs we have had here before that have had eye removal surgery and done just fine. All things considered, eye removal is nowhere near as invasive as other surgeries he COULD have which would be a much higher risk to him.

The anxiety you feel is normal. I felt that way with every single pig I have ever had, when medical issues presented themselves. Sly went through numerous dental surgeries, and I always had a stress headache and was physically ill from worrying about him. Believe me, I know what you're going through.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks papa. This whole situation is making me crazy with worry. Just don't want him in pain but the surgery is risky at his age. I would do the drops forever but know he is not 100 percent as he doesn't just destroy veggies like he used to and wimpers assume when i make him vibrate. Never thought this little guy would have my heart like he did

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.