Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Penicillin G Injections

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Ug. Eating had gone to crap. Been shringe feeding. Still keeping up with metacam and got simulant. Just starting if this surgery is to far out.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is he eating nothing on his own now? How is his eye looking? How far out is the surgery?

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
He is finally eating a bit on his own. I have given him 40cc of food so far today. I have him extra stimulant and maybe it helped? Surgery is not till June. The eye looks bad but the same. I am still treating it. This is making me tempted to do the penicillin injections. I have two vets and minus the surgery delay the non pure exotic vet had been much better. I have called and asked 3 times for a surgery estimate and heard nothing back.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If he has not been on any other oral antibiotics, I would very much encourage you to ask your vet about azithromycin. I have had two different and unrelated pigs respond incredibly well to it, with little to no disruption in appetite.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
I will ask. I have some baytril left from when he was on it. Is there another name for that one? I know baytril is called something else as well.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I will ask. I have some baytril left from when he was on it. Is there another name for that one? I know baytril is called something else as well.

Baytril's medical name is enrofloxacin.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info. Trying to bribe him with bad stuff right now just to get food into him. He ate a grape and i almost have him back to 2lb 7 oz. Hate the fact that overnight he loses a whole ounce. Mind you at his heaviest he was over 2lb 11oz. Thanks again.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You are more than welcome. I love everyones pigs LOL. His weight WILL fluctuate over 24 hours, even sometimes more than an ounce. Your best gauge is one weeks time. His weight sounds fairly stable to me so try not to fret too much.

Just as an FYI, Scooter and Punkin used to lose that much overnight as well.

Do you record his weights? I have an android app for just that reason.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks papa. I feel the same. Darn guinea pigs just are so innocent. I just know he is not eating right and i am trying to keep him in the 2 7 range. He would be 2 5 right now if i wasn't on this.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks papa. I feel the same. Darn guinea pigs just are so innocent. I just know he is not eating right and i am trying to keep him in the 2 7 range. He would be 2 5 right now if i wasn't on this.

Fingers are crossed that everything gets better from here. Poor little fella.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Thanks bud. I have him outside now with the nice weather we are having

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Update on Smokey. Eye looks somewhat better nbut I think still shot. Been having to supplement him more with Emeraid and CC. Still have surgery for June at All Creatures. I have an appointment with the other dedicated exotic vet (Specialized Care) Thursday but have really fallen out of favor with them. Asked 3 times for surgery estimate and meds and got nothing. The other vet called Saturday had meds Monday and they gave me extra. Would like another estimate before dropping 1200 on surgery and maybe sooner surgery so kinda tossed on what I should do. Is it even worth going? I do know I have some words for Thursday if I do go to Specialized Care.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I know you are upset with the specialized vet......but if it were me I would choose an exotic vet first above all else. Small animal vets are just that, dog and cat. Not necessarily trained in guinea pigs or other exotics and to me it just isn't worth the risk. That's my two cents.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
All creatures is between the two. My regular cat dog vet can examine a gp that's it. I am probably going to go just to get the estimate on surgery but am going to bitch for sure because that is terrible service. A good vet is useless if they don't help you. Ug now i am thinking i may not. The main reasons besides no call after 3 times is i asked for pain meds and got crap.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
I am going to go Thursday and see. I am starting to think this is more a front office thing be the vets even though the treatments so far have not been helpful. The schedule for surgery being mid June i might as well.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
I’m confused as to why they would give you injectable antibiotics for an eye infection, that won’t do anything.

the picture you posted did not look anywhere near severe enough to need removed. Did they do an eye stain to confirm that it’s an ulcer? If the eye has not gotten worse after this much time, it’s likely not even infected, I would be willing to bet that something is still stuck in his eye where you can’t see it. When this happens, the result is an ulcer or abrasion that won’t heal. Can you clarify what eye drops you are using and the dose?

one thing about eyes is that the vet really doesn’t need to be specialized in guinea pigs to treat it, because eye issues are not specific to them.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
Eye strain was done. It was debrided and i think i am up to 4 ointments and tried baytril. There is a white spot in the back of the eye. It's clouded and that kinda when i knew it was messed up. I don't see him blink that eye. O have been juggling two vets trying to get this resolved as i don't want to do surgery not only cost but smokey is 6 and it makes me concerned with his age. If you have any other ideas I would really appreciate Jake and thanks in advance.

heftysmurf

Cavy Slave
I have been using terramycin, odloxacin, ciprofloxacin, and a tube of some stuff i ran out of.Also tried making plasma from his blood to treat the eye. He had a e-collar on for like two weeks.
You bring up good points [MENTION=45371]Jake8771[/MENTION] as it is confirming what papa was stating maybe I should check the vet sepcialized care one more time before doing it but man have they been jerks for lack of a better term.

Last edited:

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Were you using all of those antibiotics at the same time? Did they do a culture of the eye do you know?

could you get some recent pictures by chance? I’m very intrigued by eye issues and I’d like to try and help you and your pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.