Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/61 Posts

Re: Penicillin G Injections

Don't be afraid to call the vet and tell them he isn't doing as well. The vet may be able to tell you more/give suggestions.

If i haven't said it before, he'll be totally fine with one eye. Little Bear is blind with cataracts and you'd never guess it when you see him dashing around the cage. Just be mindful of the stuff you put in there in case he does end up running into anything.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/12 Posts

Thanks 4boipigs. It's kinda weird. He wants to eat as he acts interested but has a hard time doing it. Got the vet this morning. Just never seen this.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/12 Posts

Went to vet yesterday. He seemed ok. Got more cisapride and metacam.
    I am really concerned today though. He is holding food and having a hard time. I got another antibiotic coming but afraid i may have to send him over the rainbow bridge ��

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/12 Posts

Will state just because somebody is an exotic does not mean they are a good vet for your fur baby. Vet was thinking facial paralysis and wouldnt give me antibiotic. I have some Baytril left and started it. Low and behold today he has discharge from the removed eye. Getting some tomorrow to use with my Baytril. Avoid "Specialized Care for Avian and Exotics" like the plague. Not a good vet.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Quoted
    587 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    954 Rec'd/738 Posts

I have been in regular contact with @heftysmurf outside the forum. He doesn't live far from me and it was much easier to maintain communication directly than thru a series of private messages.

After Smokey's last vet visit it was determined that he also had a serious infection, down at the bottom of his ear canal. It was never determined whether or not it had anything to do with his eye, but that seems a reasonable assumption considering it was the same side as is the nasal congestion.

Baytril was tried initially, a second prescription was acquired for this. It helped a bit but he never seemed to improve much and maintained difficulty eating. Another antibiotic was tried, this time chloramphenicol. That was started last Saturday. He always showed tremendous desire to eat and did manage to eat on his own, just not enough. His teeth WERE examined at his surgery and it was determined that his molar were fine.

Smokey's weight had continued to decline, at a slow but steady pace. Feeding with Critical Care was extremely difficult. Most times he would just let it run out of his mouth and wouldn't chew it. He had lost roughly 200 grams from the beginning of this thread up to and including last night.

He had declined to the point where as of this morning, he appeared to be losing the use of his hind legs.

It is my absolutely unhappy duty to inform everyone that Smokey was sent across the Rainbow Bridge at roughly 9am this morning. Believe me when I say that @heftysmurf did absolutely everything he could, and these last several weeks had many sleepless nights looking after Smokey in the hopes he would recover.

I would like to offer @heftysmurf my most sincere condolences on his loss. Smokey is now reunited at the Rainbow Bridge with his brother Zack who passed after an illness in November.

Enjoy your time with Zack at the Rainbow Bridge, sweet boy. You will be terribly missed.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    146 Rec'd/140 Posts

My condolences @heftysmurf, I'm so sorry Smokey didn't recover. His condition was complicated, and you did so much to give him every chance. Take care of yourself.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/12 Posts

Thanks. I am trying but man i miss him

Mentioned
    2122 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4116 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,556 Rec'd/6,038 Posts

I'm so sorry you lost him.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/12 Posts

Thank you. He has been my constant companion since his partner died. Everyday he worked with me was next to me getting fed by me. Giant whole right now. Fly high little buddy and tell Zach i love him.

User Tag List