Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Talking Meet my Guinea Pigs!

Meet my guinea pigs, George (the black and white one with long hair) and Bubbles (black, white and brown)! I got them a few months ago. They are both boys. Below are some pictures of them!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E3297.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	87774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E4290.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	87775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4001.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	87776

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,511 Rec'd/6,002 Posts

Re: Meet my Guinea Pigs!

Welcome! Cute pigs.

But you should know that your cage is not nearly large enough for two adult males. They need at least 10.5 to 11 square feet, and more is better.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    28 Rec'd/20 Posts

I had that cage for my first pair of boy pigs. The box says it is 2x4foot. I thought it was good to start. It is literally the largest cage the store had. I highly recommend upgrading to a c&c cage. I wish I had done that, considering I knew about c&c cages at the time. I know that cage is like $100. A c&c would have cost me $50 or so.

I moved my boys to a 2x5 c&c cage. The change in them when they had all that space was incredible. They're much more happy in it.

Your boys are probably still young and small. The cage will look large enough for now. But once they get to adult size you'll see how small it is.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    144 Rec'd/100 Posts

Welcome to the forum. What a couple of handsome guys you have there!

I am sure you want your little guys to have a healthy and happy life, so I would like to make a few easy suggestions which will greatly improve their health & well-being.

1. Switch from the Kaytee pellets to a more nutritious and healthy pellet such as Oxbow or KMS brand. Avoid food & treats that contain nuts and colored bits.

2. Make sure they have UNLIMITED quality hay ...again Oxbow is a great brand. Put a nice big pile in since this is their main food.

3. Make sure they get quality fresh veggies daily ( veggies such as green leaf lettuce and green pepper should be regular items).

4. Please invest in a larger cage for two males before they begin fighting and potentially injuring each other as they get bigger and show more dominant behaviors. You can easily and cheaply build a C&C cage ...so this does not have to be expensive but will make a world of difference in your pigs' health and happiness. There are lots of pictures on the forum to give you inspiration.

Remember, guinea pigs can live up to 8 years, so by giving them good care now you will be able to enjoy your adorable boys and avoid preventable vet visits.

I look forward to reading more about them!

User Tag List