Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Best way to brush/shake out fleece if you cannot do it outside?

Cryptillian

Cavy Slave
I’ve had guinea pigs for over 5 years and I’ve always been able to shake and brush out out hay and poops outside, but I am moving into a new condo with my grandma (haven’t found a place yet) in which I am almost 100% I would no long be able to do that lol.

Some people have told me to shake/brush everything out in a large trash bin in the garage, but I was wondering if I could have any tips/advice on how anyone else deals with preparing the blankets/towels to go in the wash. I need to have the new system figured out before then just so I can get used to it so I want to make sure I am making this as easy for me as possible since I do a whole lot of cleaning already!

I am new to the forums so hope I tagged everything correctly :)

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I would agree with shaking them into a trash can (like the kind/size you put out at the curb for the trash man). I have a house, but I shake and brush my fleece into a trash can outside. I do shake it out like a rug in the yard, but most of the brushing goes into the trash so I don't have hay and such everywhere.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
When I was caring for my father in his apartment, I was able to brush the fleece outside on the balcony. Now that I'm back to living in my own place, I have to do it indoors as we have a tenant on the ground floor, who uses the tiny backyard to hang dry her family laundry. When I clean the cage, I put the piggies into a kiddie pool. When removing the dirty fleece, I brush the hay and hair from it into the cage to be swept up at the end. Lately my piggies have been impatient to go back into their cage and demonstrate this by standing up and hanging on the bars, while staring at me, or pacing back and forth and back and forth. They've made me feel so guilty that I've only been brushing the larger fleece pieces in the cage. For the smaller pieces, after cleaning the cage and putting the piggies back, I brush it into the kiddie pool and sweep it up from there. The hay and hair then go into the compost bin.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.