Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Back in the guinea pig world after several years!

Wenzerito

Cavy Slave
My original intro thread can be found here, as it's too old for me to reply to anymore.

Updated Intro! I made this account several years ago and a lot has happened since then, so an update is due! :)

I'm a 24 y.o. autistic person currently caring for my small, not-quite-elderly dog Evan; my two birds Kiwi (quaker/monk parakeet) and Chloe (blue and gold macaw); and my four young boars, Boomer & West the skinny pig brothers, along with my two furry guys, one which is named Shrew and the other I'm still struggling to come up with a name for 😅

I currently work as-needed/part time with a couple of friends who do pet grooming full-time. I'm technically considered disabled and haven't been able to work full-time in several years but I'm working towards my goals slowly and carefully (I'd like to be able to work a steady part-time job at the least, so that's my end goal right now).

Over the last few years while I've been unable to keep up with steady employment, I've done a lot of foster work with pet birds, mainly parrots though I've cared for some passerine species here and there. I did a lot of work with birds who needed more one-on-one training and trust building, the ones that were very scared and/or too "aggressive" for most of the other fosters to know how to work with.

It's definitely been a while since my first guinea pigs, and I'm still catching up on new and updated information on husbandry and care practices, now that I have my four boys.

Anyways, that's the gist of my update I think. I'll be working on posting about my pigs and their cage soon, as I have some questions regarding their setup :) thanks for having me back!

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Hello! Welcome back! I can help you with your questions. What are they.

I am thinking Drew for the unnamed guinea pig... :)

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
It's so nice to see former members returning to the forum. Welcome back! I'm looking forward to reading more about your boys.

Wenzerito

Cavy Slave
Hello! Welcome back! I can help you with your questions. What are they.

I am thinking Drew for the unnamed guinea pig... :)

I had actually been thinking of a name similar to that but couldn't get it from the tip of my tongue! Lol but I like Drew, maybe short for Andrew because he reminds me of an Andy too :D

He's the only pig of myI have zero luck catching pictures of!! But he's an abyssinian with, I think it's considered calico color/pattern? White, light brown, and a somewhat darker brown. He's a sweetie, just hates the phone/camera :crazy:

My questions revolve around their setup and how I'm wanting to change/improve it. I think it would be considered free roam but restricted to one room. Similar to Becky's free range pigs in the photo albums. The only true restriction of their range would be a fence (like the ones that come with midwest cages... cause I had them handy lol) the stretches across the room, wall to wall, a couple feet away from the doorway. This is because I don't really want to shut the door on them, and I also have my small dog who could jump over the midwest cage fence. So I have a walk-through pet/baby gate in the doorway that allows me to come in, but the guinea pigs could very easily slip through it LOL. I basically will have it set up so the area around the doorway will be blocked off from them but the rest of the room will be free! Roughly 10ft by 9ft in total space.

I think I've somewhat figured out the bedding/clean up stuff... I've got some uhaul pads coming in the mail. I'm going to use some heavy-duty, basic plastic shower curtains to line my floors as a barrier to the pees. The uhaul pads will go on top of that, I will need to cut it a bit so it fits correctly haha! And on top of the uhaul will be fleece. With the size of the area I'm excited because I can have little themed sections :D since I don't think I'll be able to find fleece large enough to cover entirely 9ft by 10ft of space!

But that's the basic setup I'm working on. For now, they're in a 4ft by 8ft penned-in area using the fencing from 2 midwest habitats. I just stretched the whole fence out for each one and connected them where they'd normally hook onto each other. The tarps they came with, I ended up putting them on each 4ft side of the area and made some cuts down the outer corners so the wall that would be inside the main cage could fold down and under the pads/bedding/fleece. In the center there's about 4ft by 4ft of space where I placed a couple of yoga mats down to protect the floors, then towels/mattress pads, then fleece. One of the 4ft ends I placed the midwest cage lid over the top and zip tied it to the frame as a precaution, and I used a bit of PVC pipe and connectors to make a pole/brace for where the lid thing hangs really far into the cage and bows downwards with the weight. So the pipe is zip tied to that to prevent it from falling over and to hold up the lid. I put fleece forests on the lid area and they are OBSESSED with that spot :love:

Okay, I need to go for a bit but I'll come back once I have more time to sit down :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.