Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    524 Rec'd/422 Posts

Rescue Pigs Pregnancy Journey

It's been a while since I've posted on the forum, but thought this would be a great place to log our current journey and hopefully have it be educational and accessible to others in the future.

I'm back with two new rescue girls from Kijiji. I saw this ad on Kijiji last weekend and messaged the poster inquiring why they were being rehomed and for any pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210330-162250_Samsung Internet.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	87760

Name:	Screenshot_20210326-182525_Kijiji.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	87761

It was personal reasons the pigs were being rehomed and all seemed well. The poster didn't ask me any questions about my care or anything, we just arranged a time for me to pick them up. No mention on any exposure or access to males.

On pick-up day I didn't get a chance to hold/inspect them before loading them up and leaving. Due to covid we met outside the posters apartment, which wasn't located in the safest part of the city. Plus they were brought outside not in a carrier or box, just in their hands and were very skittish. I just wanted them safely in my carrier.

When I got home and unloaded them I instantly noted that the one had a bigger belly. I confirmed their gender first thing and gave them a basic health check and weigh in. That's when I became very suspicious. The one wasn't massive by any means, but over 100 grams heavier than her sister and noticeably bulbous. I couldn't immediately palpate babies and didn't feel movement, so I was hoping she was just chunky.

Name:	IMG_20210405_093251_214.jpg 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	87762

However, it's a week later and I'm 99.9% sure she is expecting. Today was the first day I felt belly movement that I'm confident wasn't just regular digestion and she is looking much more round.

So welcome to my pregnancy watch/baby journey. Both pigs are affectionately named Baby A and Baby B right now while I work on more permanent names. I'm sure Baby A is expecting and Baby B is under pregnancy watch. I'm planning on logging their progress here to keep it all organized.

Here are the beautiful little ones!

Name:	IMG_5238.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	87763

When I brought them home on March 30th, Baby A weighed 552 grams, while Baby B was 426 grams. Today on April 5th, Baby A was 611 grams and Baby B was 482 grams. Here is what they look like today. The belly is extremely noticeable on Baby A.

Name:	inCollage_20210405_144354176.jpg 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	87765

Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly for these little ones. I am concerned just because they are so young and also because they are roan. I have no information on what coluring the father could be, so I'm on alert that there may be lethal white babies here.

I'm very thankful they ended up here though. They will be cared for properly from now on and for the rest of their lives. It's scary to think they could have been given to just anyone. This certainly wasn't a planned situation, but I am at least able to prepare properly to deal little ones or complications.

2. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Quoted
    539 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    893 Rec'd/687 Posts

Re: Rescue Pigs Pregnancy Journey

Awwwwww, adorable. Thank you for taking these girls in, @sallyvh. One thing I know for sure.

They will have the best life with you that they possibly can.

4. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/34 Posts

Cute piggies!!

6. "Thank you, TheGuineaPigGal, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    535 Rec'd/452 Posts

Fingers crossed that either by some stroke of luck dad was not a roan, or you get very lucky and even if both parents were roan you don't hit the 25% odds of a lethal white.

8. "Thank you, Soecara, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    524 Rec'd/422 Posts

Thanks @Soecara lethal whites are my biggest concern in all of this. I'm mainly concerned that dad is likely a brother or their father that was not separated properly, so there's a high likelihood it's a roan/roan pairing. I'm doing my best to not worry about it right now though because there is nothing I can do.

I just want everyone to be happy, healthy and safe. After a nearly a decade of pig ownership this is my first time with a pregnant pig/s. I'm way too anxious and impatient for this .

10. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    535 Rec'd/452 Posts

Yes I agree it is probably most likely the father may possibly be the brother or father of the pregnant girl, but there is still a chance he might not have been roan in that case.

A roan x roan mating still has a 25% chance of throwing a non roan pup, the same odds of that same pairing throwing a lethal pup, and there is no guarantee these girls came from a roan x roan mating. If their parents were a roan x non roan there is a 50% chance a brother may not have been roan.

However any odds of a possible lethal pups are bad odds, so this is probably a prepare for the worst but hope for the best situation.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/14 Posts

I pray everything will go well for the mom and the babies. Please say no lethal whites. Good luck on this journey.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/12 Posts

A very heartwarming story! I have some names for your babies: Cookies and Cream, Reese and Peanut, Chocolate and Chip. Good luck with the pregnancy!

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    524 Rec'd/422 Posts

So the girls have been home for almost two weeks now. Unfortunately both girls are definitely pregnant.

Baby A, now named Ramona is farther along in her pregnancy than her sister. She has a VERY full belly , I want to say at least 3-4 babies. I can feel lots of fetal movement when I hold my fingers on her sides. I'm estimating that she is around 7 weeks along.

Name:	IMG_20210409_125900_445.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	87777

Name:	20210409_171012.jpg 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	87778

Baby B, now named Betty has a much smaller belly, but today was the first day I felt definite fetal movement. She's much smaller and easier to palpate. I'm thinking she only has one, possibly two pups in there.

Name:	Screenshot_20210402-205948_Instagram.jpg 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	87779

Name:	20210409_170718.jpg 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	87780

Thankfully both girls are doing well. They have great appetites and are very active. So far all is going well with them. Plexiglass baby proofing went up in their C&C today and I'm making sure I have all necessary supplies to do supplemental feeding if required. Both girls have a wellness vet appointment next week, just to give them a quick check over and to get them in the system.

And now it's just a waiting game. I'm doing all I can and just continuing to hope that all goes smoothly and we have no lethal white babies.

Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Quoted
    539 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    893 Rec'd/687 Posts

They are such adorable little ladies, @sallyvh . Fingers crossed that everything goes very well and all the little ones get through it happy and healthy.

16. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List