Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Rescue Pigs Pregnancy Journey

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
They are SO cute!!! I will pray for your little lethal white.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
And our baby saga continues.

Last night Betty safely delivered 3 pups. Two little girls and sadly another lethal white boy. I went into their room to check on them before bed around 11:30 and found her with all 3 of them already cleaned and dry.

This new lethal boy is also completely blind and deaf. He has top incisors, but no bottoms. Time will tell if he is able to eat on his own.

Gus, the other lethal is unfortunately not doing so well. At 12 days old he is still 100% reliant on round the clock syringe feeding. He is unable to chew any foods, no matter how small and shows zero interest in eating any combination of mush food on his own out of a dish. He will have a vet appointment later this week to see what his mouth looks like, but I don't think it will be good. He's already showing signs of overgrown molars with some drooling and his food mixtures are starting to dribble out his mouth more. I'm heartbroken about the whole thing.

Everyone else is doing well. Babies are growing like weeds and both mamas seem to be happy and comfortable. I'm just finding it very hard to enjoy this part when there's so much sadness. Regardless, here's some updated photos of the crew.

inCollage_20210511_144556659.jpg

inCollage_20210511_144736229.jpg

Screenshot_20210511-115937_Instagram.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm glad both mama's are ok, and most of the pups. I am also very, very sorry about Gus, and Percy. I very much wish they had been dealt a better hand. I know you will do right by all of them and as I've said before, I know they couldn't be in better hands.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So happy the delivery went OK, and so very sad about the new little lethal. But as [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION] says, they couldn't be in better hands.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
It has been a while since our last update!

Overall, the pigs are doing well. Unfortunately the one lethal, Gus, didn't make it. He passed away on June 19th at 7.5 weeks old. It was very sad, but I will admit, not all that surprising. The poor little guy had some real troubles and I don't think he really had a chance. He was never able to eat real food and was totally reliant on handfeeding. He also seemed unable to properly absorb nutrients. He ended up not really growing and was very small. Despite all that, he did have a wonderful attitude and was a sweet little man. Even almost a month later it's strange not having both my little cotton balls to take care of, but it is what it is, and Gus was given the best chance.

Thankfully, Percy, my other lethal white is thriving. He has always been much higher functioning than Gus ever was and he is continuing to do very well. He struggled at first when Gus passed as they were very close. He was visibly stressed and pulled out most of his fur, however he adjusted fairly quickly and settled back down. He's now bonded closely to his brother Ron and they do everything together. Percy is able to eat some on his own. Bits of hay and some pellets. He does get a variety of soft foods offered in a dish twice a day though. Critical care, baby food, blended veggies. I switch it up with a variety if pigsafe foods and it seems to be working for him. He is growing well and is getting nice and chunky. So far he hasn't required any dental work, but I won't be surprised if he requires it in the future.

All the other babies and mamas are doing very well! I debated rehoming some of the littles, but I couldn't part with them. All the girls are so silly and spunky, they are a very close group and I often find all 5 of them laying together in the same big pigloo even though they have a 2x8 with a variety of hides. Ron the other boy is massive! He is just over 10 weeks old and already 800 grams. He is just huge, but is a very sweet boy and is incredibly patient with his little lethal white brother.

Here's some pictures of the family!

inCollage_20210629_171525654.jpg

IMG_20210628_170559_842.jpg

20210625_152850.jpg

20210625_155339.jpg

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the update. Loved the pictures.

I am sorry to hear about Gus. I hope the best for little Percy! He's a fighter and I can't wait to hear more updates on his progress.

It's funny...our house went from 2 to 12 guinea pigs all because of 2 additional rescues who we adopted from our local shelter when they were already pregnant.

We also lost one little one unfortunately due to a difficult birth. We kept them all because of their special personalities. We had the only male baby neutered and 3 years later he is still loving being king of the castle.

We transformed a room in the house into a room size two story cage and the rest is history. A lot of work!!, but worth it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you for the update on your little ones, [MENTION=31353]sallyvh[/MENTION] !

I am so very sorry about Gus. On one hand I am saddened by his loss, and on the other knowing that he was destined to have a rough life perhaps it was better this way. Still heartbreaking either way.

Ron sounds like he's growing the same way Punkin did! Punkin was 806 grams at the 10 week mark. He could easily have been mistaken for a full grown pig at that age. He was such a beefer!

Nothing but the best wishes for little Percy, I am so glad to hear he's doing well. And of course, the rest of your new additions. Here's to nothing but health and happiness for your herd!

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much for the latest update. I am sad to read about little Gus's passing but glad his short life was spent in your care and not someone less experienced. It is wonderful to read about how well all the other piggies are doing, especially little Percy. Looking forward to your next update and pictures. They are all so adorable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.