Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    23 Rec'd/21 Posts

Re: Impulse buyers, stupid questions, etc

Yes I totally understand. Just make sure that she knows how to care for them and that the piggies aren’t being totally neglected. Although I’m sure that you already have.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    96 Rec'd/79 Posts

Today, Petsmart had a half off sale on live animals for black friday. Idk how many sold and I didn't have to see a lot of it. I also got an old coworker to adopt an abandoned ham that had been at Petsmart for months.

Had a bad call today about a pig. Pig apparently running around the cage and the force of its running knocked the cage down from wherever they had the cage. Owner woke up and the pig has a severe head tilt. Makes me wonder what kind of cage it was in and what it was sitting on. I'm really grateful we don't see exotics.

3. "Thank you, 4boipigs, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    96 Rec'd/79 Posts

I will not make a new thread since this fits here. I am all sorts of sad and pissed off. I was about to leave work tonight. Slow and uneventful day. A woman and her kid come in before close with a guinea pig, hysterical. I'm thinking, oh great what now, because I HATE this sort of stuff. I dread anything that has to do with gpigs since I work in a pet store. They said the pig couldn't walk. However, our vet was gone for the day. I was not aware of the pig's state. Once they talk with the pet store, they bring the pig over and the damn thing is struggling to breath and flailing, almost reminding me of when my pig Little Bear had seizures. His eyes are far away and I wasn't too sure he was even with us. I asked about trauma, etc, because god knows I don't trust people who give their kids small animals. I emphasize that the doctor is gone and he needs an ER. I have the info for some that see pigs. Owner says she can't afford the vet. We can't do anything w/o the dr and we don't see exotics anyway. Owner wants us to see the pig tomorrow. I'm not comfortable with that, and I didn't think the pet store was. It was obvious he wasn't going to make it and letting it suffer overnight is wrong. Owner was thinking of taking the pig back so she could bring it tomorrow. We're all getting uncertain and upset at this point. I tried to have an honest talk with the owner, but I think she was too upset to listen. I honestly believed the pig needed to be pts. So I decide what I knew I'd do from the start - take the pig into my own hands.

So I left work with the pig, gasping in my arms, and hurried to the ER. They don't treat pigs but by some grace of god, their guinea pig doctor who is never there, was actually there today. They said he was blue and suspect he was choking. I didn't know how much it would cost, so I only got a little card with his pawprints. If I had known the price would be way lower, I would have gotten clay paw prints.

I'm so angry right now and just hate everything. This person has NO business buying animals if she can't afford a vet visit. Now this kid is going to be traumatized because the pig she got for xmas is dead and she got to watch it suffer. And I absolutely hate working inside a pet store and I'm so close to asking to transfer to a location that isn't in a pet store. The pig and the woman are lucky I was working today and care so much about gpigs.

In memory of pig I only knew for an hour - https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...know-your-name

User Tag List