Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Scab? On Guinea Pig's Ear

  1. #1
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 02, 2021
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Scab? On Guinea Pig's Ear

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	87757
    Hi all,

    I'm a bit worried today because I woke up to find that one of my guinea pigs, Gouda (5 month old female) has something that looks like a scab on her ear. She does have another female cage-mate, so I was wondering if it might be caused by a nip. It did seemingly appear over night, though-- I don't remember seeing it yesterday evening. I was wondering if anyone could give me a second opinion as to what might have caused it. I'm going to try attaching a picture of the scab, but it is very small and looks as if it has scabbed over. It's red in color and it is on the outside of her ear towards the bottom of the ear. Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave TheGuineaPigGal's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2020
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Thanks
    123
    Thanks
    40 Rec'd/37 Posts

    Re: Scab? On Guinea Pig's Ear

    It does look like a nip. Is she still behaving normally?

    It also could be ringworm, although that is highly unlikely because the other pig probably would have scabs too, and Gouda would have more.


    I am going to assume it is a nip, but I will tag another member/s to get their opinion. @Guinea Pig Papa @bpatters

  3. "Thank you, TheGuineaPigGal, for this useful post," says:


  4. #3
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 02, 2021
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Re: Scab? On Guinea Pig's Ear

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuineaPigGal View Post
    It does look like a nip. Is she still behaving normally?

    It also could be ringworm, although that is highly unlikely because the other pig probably would have scabs too, and Gouda would have more.


    I am going to assume it is a nip, but I will tag another member/s to get their opinion. @Guinea Pig Papa @bpatters


    She seems to be behaving like she usually does! No problems eating or drinking and she seems not to be itching her ear, which I assume is a good sign. Thank you for your insight :)

  5. #4
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,616
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    208
    Thanks
    7,512 Rec'd/6,002 Posts

    Re: Scab? On Guinea Pig's Ear

    Just keep a close eye on it. If you see signs of beginning infection (heat, redness, swelling, pus), then put some triple antibiotic cream on it twice a day. Be sure to rub it in well.

    How big is their cage?

  6. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," say these 2 members:


  7. #5
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 02, 2021
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Re: Scab? On Guinea Pig's Ear

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Just keep a close eye on it. If you see signs of beginning infection (heat, redness, swelling, pus), then put some triple antibiotic cream on it twice a day. Be sure to rub it in well.

    How big is their cage?
    Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely keep an eye on it for any signs of it getting worse. Their cage is about 50 inches x 14 inches.

  8. #6
    Cavy Champion Guinea Pig Papa's Avatar
    Joined
    May 12, 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,061
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Quoted
    546 Post(s)
    Thanks
    708
    Thanks
    902 Rec'd/694 Posts

    Re: Scab? On Guinea Pig's Ear

    Quote Originally Posted by GoudaandBleu View Post
    Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely keep an eye on it for any signs of it getting worse. Their cage is about 50 inches x 14 inches.

    I'm hoping that 14 inches is a typo. It needs to be at least double that.

  9. #7
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 02, 2021
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Re: Scab? On Guinea Pig's Ear

    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    I'm hoping that 14 inches is a typo. It needs to be at least double that.

    ah, yes. Excuse the mistake-- my mind has been elsewhere this morning. It is about 50x34, quite comfortable.

  10. "Thank you, GoudaandBleu, for this useful post," say these 2 members:


User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •