Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Good cage size for 3-4 female guinea pigs

jazzsguineas

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I am planning for getting guinea pigs later this year. I’m hoping to be able to get a female trio, so I’ve been looking into what cage sizes would be enough. I never want to do the minimum, and I was thinking of a 3x4 C&C cage with a 1x4 loft. I think that it will be plenty of space because the bottom will be about 16 ft.² with a 4 ft.² loft, but I’m worried that it’s not enough lateral space. I want it to be unique and nice because they’re going to have their own room decorated just for them. I’m open to any criticism or ideas; I want them to have the best life possible with room to maybe add one more guinea pig down the road.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I will always recommend a loft or other usable space to be more than 1x anything. Just 1 grid wide is just too close for pigs to pass and usually leads to aggressive behaviors even in the sweetest of pigs.

I would also recommend 2 ramps for any loft. This allows easy escapes and avoids the squabbling that happens when the top or bottom of the ramp becomes a favorite resting place for one of them.

The bigger (wider and longer) you can make the cage, truly the more enjoyment you will get watching them comfortably run, popcorn and do zoomies throughout the space without risk of offending a napping pig.

jazzsguineas

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for the feedback. I’ve never heard of that causing aggressiveness, so I’m happy to know now! I will definitely look in to a wider loft and two ramps. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.