Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Random Loud Wheeking From a 3 month old baby male guinea pig

Rynn21

Cavy Slave
I am fostering this very young boar, and he started off by wheeking while in with his new cage mate. I thought maybe he was hungry, so I took him aside and started to try to feed him. He ignored it and started up this very high pitched wheeking. It almost sounds like he's scared or calling for his mom. Is there anything I can do or will this just phase out as he gets older? At times the wheeking is accompanied by stressed sounding breaths, like sighs.
I'm also not sure if every baby guinea pig has a strained nasally wheek to them, but I have three babies that have this sound. The only difference is with this boy, when he is just breathing his nose has a popping sound to it. Do they all have a URI or is it normal?

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
My GP wheeks like that when she's scared or in pain.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
If you could record it and post it here that might help. A popping sound coming from his nose when he’s just breathing is not normal and could indicate a respiratory issue.

Rynn21

Cavy Slave
It's hard to because the popping sound is only heard if you put your ear to his nose. I can try to record him gasp wheeking though.

Besides that, I have no idea why he's wheeking when nothing is happening in or out of his cage. None of my other fosters do this, and some are babies as well. Maybe just a baby thing...no idea. I'm stumped. I did try to give him some critical care and he pushed it away, so he's not hungry.

Rynn21

Cavy Slave
I went to the vet, and she gave me some yeast powder that has vitamins in it to help promote a strong immune system, since she didn't immediately suspect a URI.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.