Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Stan Lee hay, meadow hay, and Oxbow timmy pops?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Just curious about these three things!

We've always gotten Oxbow hay, and we like it, but we recently saw rave reviews about Stan Lee hay --- a lot of people saying it was better than Oxbow. But there were also a couple recent reviews that said the last few batches were drastically lower in quality. Has any one else ordered from them?

What is meadow hay most similar to, if you compare to other hays? I ask because Robin Hood is allergic to orchard grass, which we got once because it was fresher and softer than the timothy. But after a day he started to sneeze over and over again, to the point his nose was running a little. We removed all the orchard hay and he was instantly fine.

Do your piggies like the Oxbow timmy pops/are they safe? I ordered them for Robin Hood for his birthday :)

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I haven't heard of Stanlee. I buy Oxbow since that's the best thing I can get at my store where I work. But quality seems to be iffy with a lot of hard pieces and bits n pieces on the bottom. They also sell the timothy pops and other oxbow things, but since they're just packaged on cardboard where anyone can touch them and they're not 'preserved' or bagged, I've never bought them cuz I don't know what I could be giving to my pigs. I'm curious about them but...my guys also have other stuff like wood blocks and toys they just chew on in passing and don't really use anyway.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Standlee sells through Tractor Supply and Runnings stores. They have products for livestock as well as small animals. I’ve never tried their products so I don’t know about the quality.

Hay seems to be so hit and miss. I have some nice Oxbow orchard grass that was Lacey’s favorite, but now she’s losing interest. I picked up a small bag of Kaytee timothy from Menards and it’s green and smells great, so she’s liking that. Then I ordered Oxbow timothy from Chewy and it’s long stems and course pieces with lots of fuzzy tops. She’s picking through that, not to enthusiastic.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I tried Standlee orchard grass hay about 2 years ago, through Amazon, and it was OK. It wasn't good enough for me to stick with them. Like @ItsaZoo indicated above, hay is hit and miss.

I'm using up the last of a 20 lbs order from KMS and after that, I will order GuineaDad hay. I also bought three flakes of orchard grass from a neighbor who purchased it from a local grower and it was terrible, really dry and crunchy. On Saturdays, I clean the piggy cage in the evening. In the morning, I throw in a large amount of the local hay and let my girls play around in it just to use it up.

Orchard grass is my standard hay as I'm allergic to timothy hay. For variety, I buy the Oxbow bags of meadow and botanical hay. I've also bought Oxbow oat hay but have since switched to buying it from KMS in larger quantities. My girls are not too fond of the meadow hay and once we are done with it, I will not be ordering anymore. The Oxbow version is in small pieces, between 1-3 inches with the occasional longer pieces, that I put into a dish (the pink one in my avatar). My understanding is that meadow hay is a mixture of soft stemmed pasture grasses. My girls love oat and botanical hay and I will continue to buy those two as a treat for them.

I have given my girls Oxbow timmy pops before and while they enjoyed it, they do not last very long. I have been eyeing the Oxbow timothy popsicle which looks bigger. I've also bought fresh bamboo sticks which they've totally ignored. They used to enjoy the dried bamboo sticks which get shredded and I'm worried about them being poked with one of the shredded pieces, so eliminated that. Right now, they are enjoying the Oxbow timothy club hay barrel, which I stuff with oat hay every other day.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I'm at work eating lunch and looking at the Chewy.com site and saw this celebration cake. It is so darn cute that I will have to buy it for the next piggy birthday celebration. Since this is the last thread I saw where we discussed treats, I'm adding to it.

https://www.chewy.com/f/naturals-by-rosewood_f1v850823

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.