Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Cute and funny things your GP do(es)

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
This thread is about cute and funny things your guinea pig(s) do(es). So, I do Irish dance and I was practicing next to Rosie's cage. She probably thought I was popcorning so she popcorning too! It was the cutest thing!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
My sister told me today that she was opening and eating a bag of chips while I was at work. Gimbly started wheeking in my bedroom thinking it was for him. He also cries when he hears the kitchen door open as I come home. He will cry when I call his name and come into the room. I'm pretty sure he knows his name because he reacts every time I call his name to stop stealing Little Bear's food.

He also gets excited when he hears the LA GP Rescue intro.

Pictured: Chico who sleeps as if he is dead, and nothing rouses him.

20210316_115548.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@4boipigs, keep a close eye on Chico. Sleeping very deeply can be, but isn't necessarily, a symptom of heart disease.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Lacey starts wheeking when I run water in the kitchen sink. She thinks I'm cleaning lettuce. And she knows the time of day.

3:00 p.m. is my "union break" when I have an apple and some peanut butter, so she starts getting antsy about 2:30 or so. I taught her to circle for treats, so when she sees her little apple treat, she starts going in circles.

About 5:00 p.m. she knows it's time for her vitamin C wafer, which is her favorite treat. My husband gets that for her, so she listens for him. He watches the news in the room farthest from her cage, and she can hear him move before he even gets out of his recliner. She starts whistling so loud I swear the neighbors can hear her.

She knows her name, so anytime I say, "Hey, Lacey" she comes running and hops over anything in her way.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
And she knows the time of day.

My guys are like this too, it drives me insane! I wake up at 5am everyday (just out of habit, no alarms). The pigs are ALWAYS crying the instant I open my eyes and they know the sound of my bed moving as I get up. They are second to be fed as I feed my cat.

Around noon is when I would come home from work for lunch, and they're usually throwing a fit then.

When it is bedtime for me, they follow suit and are usually laying in bed. Chico and Amigo go to bed around the same time I do. Gimbly stays up for a bit.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Mama Piggy liked to wheek when she heard the neighbors dogs bark.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My pigs always seemed to know the time of day as well. THIS time with the time change, Simon and Leo had it figured out within 48 hours and adjusted themselves accordingly. All my prior pigs had to have us adjust their schedule for them. I have no idea how these two figured things out, nor how they did it so fast.

I too, am an early riser. 0530. At first Simon hated it. Leo would usually be waiting but not making any noise but Simon would stay in his hidey. I had to lift it off of him and even then, he would be all hunched up sleeping and very grumpy when he was prodded. Now, when I get up and the house is dark, as soon as I walk out of the bedroom I can hear Simon start burbling. By the time I come back upstairs he's in full fledged "yell at dad" mode.

They both also know their names, and quickly learn nicknames as well. All of my pigs seemed to learn them however. Some responded well, others sometimes. I used to come home and call out, "Where's Pooper? Where's my best friend?" And he always either popped his head out of his hidey to look at me or came all the way out to see what I wanted him for. When I held Sly on my chest, he would tuck his nose up under my chin and push it up, so that he could snuggle in closer. That's the last thing he did. He snuggled in as close as he could get, the day I had to let him go.

One of Scooter's least endearing traits was bar chewing when it was treat time, if I wasn't quick enough. But bar chewing was one of Punkins MOST endearing traits, and here's why. Scooter would actually chew the bars, lift them off the floor in some cases. But Punkin wouldn't actually chew them. He would put his mouth up to them so that it APPEARED like he was, and even move his mouth. But he never chewed them. He would just stand next to Scooter and pretend he was.

There is so much more, but it would take an entire column.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Lacey starts wheeking when I run water in the kitchen sink. She thinks I'm cleaning lettuce. And she knows the time of day.

3:00 p.m. is my "union break" when I have an apple and some peanut butter, so she starts getting antsy about 2:30 or so. I taught her to circle for treats, so when she sees her little apple treat, she starts going in circles.

About 5:00 p.m. she knows it's time for her vitamin C wafer, which is her favorite treat. My husband gets that for her, so she listens for him. He watches the news in the room farthest from her cage, and she can hear him move before he even gets out of his recliner. She starts whistling so loud I swear the neighbors can hear her.

She knows her name, so anytime I say, "Hey, Lacey" she comes running and hops over anything in her way.
Rosie does that too! Whenever anyone comes in the room from 7:00am to 8:30am, depends how lazy I am (which is her morning feeding time) she goes crazy!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
My boys chew on the bars when they anticipate food and I hate it! I'm afraid they'll hurt their teeth. Chico and Amigo chew the bars side by side. Gimbly also chews the bars, and Little Bear picked up on the habit from Gimbly.

162744423_2567000113594636_3655386968219938756_n.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They can easily break their teeth chewing on the bars. Consider lining the inside of the cage with plexiglass -- that will stop it.

You might not have to line the entire cage. When I had a determined bar chewer, she only did it at the end of the cage next to the kitchen. So I only had to line one narrow end.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Lately my dumbdumbs like to encounter each other in a tunnel head-on. One is trying to go one way, and one is trying to go the other way. So they meet and get mad at each other, and neither will move.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
Lately my dumbdumbs like to encounter each other in a tunnel head-on. One is trying to go one way, and one is trying to go the other way. So they meet and get mad at each other, and neither will move.
Hahaha, that's funny.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I love the tunnel story! They can be so stubborn and indignant.

Sometimes when I spot-clean the cage, Lacey gets huffy with the whisk broom. She jumps at it and kind of grunts. She also gets mad at her little stuffed rabbit because I move it to clean up. She runs over and bites its nose. Apparently she thinks the whisk broom and the rabbit are after her hay and pellets.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Well... to be fair rabbits DO eat hay... XD

Maybe Lacey knows that rabbits eat hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.