Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids Swing Grid Questions?

SkyKimimota

Cavy Slave
Hello! I am looking to build a large cage at some point, most likely a 2x8 with an added 2x2 loft, using the official items from the store the forum is attached to. To get ready for it, I'm trying to sort out all the details. My problem is that I would like it 3 grids tall (2 cage stands underneath), but I'm a short person worried about being able to comfortably reach in.
1. Can swing grids go sideways, like doors?
2. Would they be a good idea for reaching all of the cage?
3. Are there any limits to how many you can use, that using too many would take from the integrity of the cage?
I'm trying to build a little paradise I can happily keep for years to come, so any advice would be greatly appreciated, even if it's not necessarily about the grids.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They can swing any way you want them to. There are hundreds and hundreds of cage pictures in the photo gallery, including plenty that are on grid stands.

SkyKimimota

Cavy Slave
Thank you! Sorry if the question seemed silly, I'm very eager, haha.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
My cage:
level 1 is a bottom grid layer for storage. There are spaces for 6 bins on each of two sides. The center is completely gridded to allow for a stable structure and I have grids flat to the floor for added stability. So, a full box structure.

Level 2 is a 6x6 flat open square.

Level 3 is a 2x10 L shaped loft that goes around the exterior of 2 sides.

I am 5'2" and I can comfortably reach the third level. It is actually a perfect height.

I love the swing grids and use them in various parts of my cage.

I have several areas on level 2 & 3 where I have placed two side by side so they swing sideways like french doors and leave a huge 2 grid wide opening. I like the ability to really reach in for both cleaning and catching the little rascals. I use bungee cords to keep the doors secure & closed.

Make sure you use a lot of zip ties on the whole cage for stability. Do this for a very stable & secure cage no matter how many levels you go. I get different sizes and heavier duty ones on amazon.

For my large loft I also have wood and metal beams under the 2x10 that fit from one end of the cage to the other and are zip-tied underneath the grids. This makes sure the 2x10 level does not bow/sag and I don't need any other grids holding it up other than the outer grid walls all around. It also allows me to have several single and double swing grids in various places as well.

If I really need a door in the corner of level 2, I use the "door grids" sold on the site and zip tie another grid to it to create a swing door of sorts. But the full grid, even with the large hole, allows for stability in those areas for the weight of the upper level.

I hope this helps a bit. Enjoy looking at all the pictures on this site for inspiration and enjoy your creative building project!

Last edited:

SkyKimimota

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the advice! I'm eager to figure out and handle kinks before I start ordering things. I'm 5"1' so I'll definitely take your perspective on it xD

So you would stress stability? I thought about it with the loft, but not everywhere else. With your insight, I think I might use the support rods on the site under the whole cage and loft, maybe completely grid up the middle 2 spaces of each row of the stands. I would really hate for there to be an unfortunate tumble.

So the swinging grids would need something to snap it back? Noted! I was wanting to put French style in the center 2 spaces of the cage, then maybe add one near the ends and one in the loft. My cage will only be accessible from one side, so wouldn't have to worry about the other.

Please excuse my habit of being chatty, it's hard to fight, haha.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you snap the grids into the connectors provided with them, and then zip-tie them, they'll be very sturdy. We've even had a couple of cages survive an adult human falling into them.

SkyKimimota

Cavy Slave
Oh wow, that is sturdy! If I wanted 2 of the spaces in the stand connected so I could fit a wider bin for hay, would I have to add support then?

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Oh wow, that is sturdy! If I wanted 2 of the spaces in the stand connected so I could fit a wider bin for hay, would I have to add support then?

If you zip tie at each connection and zip tie a few times in the middle, you should be ok to have a sturdy area that will not sag.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
1. Can swing grids go sideways, like doors?

I think this site sells kits for letting the grids open whatever way. I'd have to find it again, but it looks confusing. I have tops on my 2 cages, and I use a combo of zip ties and the grid connectors to make my own doors so I can get in, but I can keep my cat out. It's a lot easier to have it in person so you can fiddle with it and decide how you want it.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I don't use swing grids, so I wouldn't know.

Demiba

Cavy Slave
I want to add swing grids but the shipping is about $22 for just 2 of them

Demiba

Cavy Slave
So I have removed the top support from one of the grids and zip tied it to the grid beside it so it swings.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.