Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores About Pet Supermarket and Pet Supplies Plus ?

• Thread starter GuineaPigQueen1
  • Start date

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
I like Pet SuperMarket and Pet Supplies Plus, but I used to like PetSmart and Petco. Before I found out that they support animal abuse in small animals and reptiles (Please don’t get me started on abuse about other animals there I do know). So my PetSuperMarket sells rabbits guinea pigs hamsters ferrets birds reptiles fish. But not rats or mice. Birds are in actual bird cages but smaller. They look fine but they have wood shavings I have no idea what for. They have some ventilation with holes on top but they are in good size cases about almost two times bigger that pet smart with 2 animals in there. Hamsters are alone and rabbits and guinea pigs have a buddy I believe same sex ( From the look inside I could sorta tell they were girls.) My Pet Supplies Plus only sells some reptiles like tarantulas (I am terrified of spiders and crickets so I am never over there.) They sell fish in what I think good condition ( I am guilty of buying a Betta fish putting it in a fish bowl I was 4 and I have no idea about fish. The Bettas are in little containers like Petco. Please tell me if they are good or bad stores because in a few weeks my piggies need pellets and I need to know so if I am making the right choice of buying .

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
With any store that sells livestock, they have suppliers that keep their inventory up. So it depends on who they contract with for suppliers, how they are transported, and how knowledgeable the employees are. While I'm always leery about any organization that makes money from animals, there has been a lot of pressure on the industry to make positive changes.

All you can do is check their website for more info, and research statements from employees or other reputable sources. Of course there are always people who feel strongly about any animals being sold, and they may not be objective.

The reason I have this softer opinion of pet sales is because I grew up in a family that raised dogs. My mom raised poodles, my dad raised and trained retrievers and many of them won championships in field trial competition. The dogs were clean, groomed, socialized, well-fed, and vetted. They were AKC registered, my mom kept strict records, and potential owners were basically interviewed and educated before they took a dog home. The small dogs spent hours each day in a large fenced yard with shade trees and green grass. The large dogs had huge kennels, fresh water, and hot cooked meals. I would take several dogs at a time and hike through local fields and woods. By today's standards, my family would be classified as a backyard breeder. But not everyone who raises and sells animals is abusive and negligent.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
With any store that sells livestock, they have suppliers that keep their inventory up. So it depends on who they contract with for suppliers, how they are transported, and how knowledgeable the employees are. While I'm always leery about any organization that makes money from animals, there has been a lot of pressure on the industry to make positive changes.

All you can do is check their website for more info, and research statements from employees or other reputable sources. Of course there are always people who feel strongly about any animals being sold, and they may not be objective.

The reason I have this softer opinion of pet sales is because I grew up in a family that raised dogs. My mom raised poodles, my dad raised and trained retrievers and many of them won championships in field trial competition. The dogs were clean, groomed, socialized, well-fed, and vetted. They were AKC registered, my mom kept strict records, and potential owners were basically interviewed and educated before they took a dog home. The small dogs spent hours each day in a large fenced yard with shade trees and green grass. The large dogs had huge kennels, fresh water, and hot cooked meals. I would take several dogs at a time and hike through local fields and woods. By today's standards, my family would be classified as a backyard breeder. But not everyone who raises and sells animals is abusive and negligent.
That you for the tips for research I have to say your family sounds like very good breeders. I agree that some people who are strong about it don’t care how the animals are bred or kept. I am now just thinking that Petco and Petsmart pigs were abused and I am not so sure about the two other stores I was wondering about. Thanks

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
If you aren't comfortable, find a store that doesn't sell animals. The Pet Supplies Plus around me don't sell animals, so I used to go there a lot. You can also buy online instead.

Stores vary by individual store, some have employees who care about the pets and take care of them and other stores are not so great. It's also important to remember the displays animals are kept in, aren't an example of how they should be kept (ex - betta in a cup; large fish like oscars, balas, and goldfish in small tanks)- it's just a temporary home. If the displays are dirty or unkempt, then it comes back to the employees to make it right.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Ok thank you that makes me more comfortable and makes me realize that the habit is temporary.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.